Where to stay in Rome

Search

Where to stay in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Rome

My family & I (9 total) will be arriving in Rome on a Wednesday evening & taking the train to Siena on Friday around 1:45. We plan to do a whirlwind tour on Thursday. Before you tell me one day is not enough, I know, however, it's all I've got & I'm being told this is a non-negotiable stop. (My hubby is a theater professional currently working on a production of Julius Caesar -- need I say more?)

Am I better off staying near the Termini or trying to get a place in the Centro Storico. I don't want to be lugging our bags all over Rome & trying to coordinate two taxis, but I want to be central and I am concerned about the seediness/safety of the train station area. Also, my immediate family is 5, so I'm trying not to break the bank. I found an inexpensive monastary/convent? - Fraterna Domus - near Piazza Navonna. Would this be inconvenient?What do the you suggest? Much thanks...
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:10 AM

Yes, the Piazza Navonna area is where you want to be. Absolutely. We just returned from Rome last week. We walked everwywhere from this general area..the Colisseum, Vatican City, Spanish Steps, etc. Good comments have been made about Fraterna Domus on this website, although I have no first hand experience. We stayed in a convent called Casa di Santa Brigidia. Very pleasant experience. At any rate, the area of Rome you have chosen to stay in is PERFECT!
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:37 AM

You could do much worse. Dai (go for it!).

Casale-Abruzzo Rental Villa
http://www.angelfire.com/film/casale
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
amelia

Your instincts are on target. Have a delightful (if rushed) trip.

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:39 AM

I suggest you go have dinner at Pancrazio Restaurant near Piazza Fiori. You can visit the basement and see the spot where Julius Caesar was presumably stabbed! It will give your husband new motivation!
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great input. Patrick - special kudos to you!! My husband told me this morning that I keep slicing & dicing away things that he wants to do. He challenged me to find a historically relevant restaurant by the time he gets home from rehearsal tonight. You came to my rescue!
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I just put together a daytrip for a friend who has part of a day in Rome from a cruise ship. You deal with what you have.

Unless you're staying in the train station, you'll probably want to take a taxi to and from there.

A taxi from the Fountain of Trevi or Pantheon to the train station is no more than 15 minutes.

I would stay in the area of Piaza Navonna, Pantheon, Fountain of Trevi. They're each withing 5 minutes walk of the other.

Unless museums are a priority, you can see a great deal in a day without really rushing if walking a lot is not an issue.

My friends took a taxi from the train station to the Vatican. Got in line and bought a ticket for the Vatican Museum. After the Vatican they then walked around to St Peters and spent some time inside.

They walked past Catle St Angelo and across to the Spanish Steps. Spent some time there and onto Fountain of Trevi.

Wondered around there for a little while and then on to the Pantheon. Spent about a half hour there and stopped for a snack in Piazza Navonna.

They walked past the Victor Emanual monument and around and up the stairs to Pizza Campidoglio where they sat around for a while and had great views the Forum.

They walked over to the Coloseum but didn't really have time (nor desire) to go inside.

Took a short taxi ride back to the train station and trained back to the cruise ship.

They worked with what they had.