Where to stay in Rome

Old Jan 10th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Rome

We are a family of 5 (2 teen boys and 1 pre-teen girl) and are planning on spending 2 days in Rome pre-cruise. I have a LOT of IHG points and would like to use those for our hotel. Where is the best place to stay in Rome where we can walk around and see a lot on foot. (We are thinking about doing a guided full day tour after the cruise.....or possibly before). We're hoping that transportation from FCO and then train to Civitavecchia will be fairly simple, too.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 11:28 AM

You should locate all of the IHG properties on a map. As near as I can tell, only the Hotel Indigo on via Giulia is close to the main sights. If you end up at one of the others, see if they offer shuttle service (and how frequent it is) and/or whether the properties are near public transportation points and how long it will take to travel back and forth. Add the cost of transportation X5 to your lodging cost.

https://www.ihg.com/hotelindigo/hote...sg/hoteldetail
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 12:46 PM

I love the Via Gulia. If you were to stay here, you would be close to Trastevere, Campo Fiori and the Vatican.

You would also be within walking distance to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

You would be quite far from the Colosseum, however.

Buonasera,
Thin
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 12:56 PM

On the question of easy access from Rome to the cruise terminal, the simplest but most expensive way is via shuttle like a minivan. A family of five would probably fill the normal size shuttles, so expect a cost of maybe $120 for the more than an hour trip there. The train is a lot less, as little as 5 euros each from the Termini station, takes about 70 minutes. The "but" is that the rail station is a 15-20 minute walk from the spot that you can pick up shuttle buses to individual cruise ships. In 2017, that required a walk and two buses for us (and a long wait for each). And, signage was not the best. I still would do that again; simply follow the many other people heading in the same direction and plan on up to an extra hour to get from the train station to the ship and just begin relaxing. Another option is a taxi from the rail station, but there may be more demand than availability for the short relatively expensive ride. You can purchase rail tickets at machines in the Termini station (which have to be validated in a separate machine) or you can buy them online at the trenitalia.com site, have them on your phone, not have to worry about validating, not have to worry about the annoying people who try to push the ticket machine buttons for tips, rand you have up to 4 hours after your selected scheduled trip to use the tickets.