where to stay in provence for 4 nights

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay in provence for 4 nights

We are going to be in provence for 4 nights taking the TGV from Tours to Avignon. We will rent a car upon arrival and would like to know if it makes a big difference whether we stay in Les Baux or St Remy as they seem to be very close to each other.
Thinking of staying at Benvengudo in Les Baux. Your input will be most welcome.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM

It really depends on your itinerary--where will you be visiting on your day trips? I'm not familiar with your hotel in Les Baux, so no opinion. I would list the sights I intend to visit, look at a map and figure out what would be the routes. My opinion is that Les Baux is a unique destination but not the place I would want to stay at, St Remy feels a little more natural with great access to the rest of Provence. Don't think you can go too wrong either way. Paul
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

St Remy is a town that is easy to drive into and out of with a car, a consideration if you are planning to take day trips. Access to Les Baux is more difficult. St Remy gets my vote!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
DAX

To me Les Baux is a small tiny village destination that you should visit early one morning before the mobs of tourists invade it and then get out. Personally I can't imagine staying in a such a small village that gets heavily mobbed daily.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Dax, the Benvengudo does not sit inside the village but outside. Lots of places will say in Les Baux but they are not up where all the tourists and shops are.
Same for St Remy
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM

Based on only one trip to the area, I'd also vote for St. Remy over Les Baux. I also think that Les Baux is worth maybe a day or an afternoon, but doesn't make a lot of sense as a base.

When I visited Provence, I stayed three nights in the Luberon, and one in Les Baux, mostly because I'm a foodie, and I wanted a big gastronomic dinner at Oustau de Baumaniere. Actually their food was a huge disappointment, but the hotel was very nice, and I think the division of time was aboute right. I found far better food in the Luberon, and in a place in Eygaliers (near Les Baux). I can provide pointers if anyone's interested.

This does bring up another point though -- are you more interested in seeing towns like Avignon and St. Remy, or smaller villages and pretty countryside? If the latter, you might want to shift your base over to the Luberon.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

We are wanting to visit the following: St Remy, Arles, Gorde, Aix-en-provence,Gordes, Sault and perhaps drive to a beach closest to our base. Based on that where do you think we should stay.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM

Hmm... far greater Provence experts than I are bound to respond to this (especially after I top it for you). It seems to me that your visits to St. Remy, Arles, and Aix would be well-served by a base in St. Remy. You could throw in an afternoon visit to Les Baux, too, while you're in the area. It wouldn't be hard.

Gordes and Sault are tougher, because they're relatively far away from both St. Remy and from each other. You could fairly easily do Gordes as a day trip from St. Remy -- I think it's probably about a 45 minute drive, most of which won't be very scenic. Once you're in Gordes, though, you'll be in a very pretty part of the Luberon. While you're there, why not also visit some other Luberon villages (Bonnieux, Roussillon), or the Village de Bories, or perhaps most importantly the Abbeye de Senanque, particularly if it's lavendar season? Half of the fun, I'd say, is just driving around the Luberon and looking at the countryside. You could fit some subset of those into a day trip from St. Remy. That would be easier than trying to fit Gordes and Sault into the same day trip, I would think. I don't know what goes on in Sault -- I've never been there, but it does appear to be a bit removed from the usual Luberon destinations.

Is Stu Dudley still around here?

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM

Gordes you can do but not every viilage. gordes is surrounded btcavaillon. apt. Fontaine d Vaucluse, Ilse sur-la-sorgue.
Aix is a gateway to Haue Provenc where the real lvender grows by Draguignan, sault and an easy drive to the coast to the lovely village of Cassis
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM

If you do go to Gordes...I highly recommend that you visit Roussillon as well. It's gorgeous! And try to visit on market day.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM

No matter how touristy anyone tells a first time visiter, the big three to see are Les Baux, Gourds, Roussillon.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM

grrrr, that should read Gordes
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. I think that I am on track with all your input and will stay in St Remy. Many thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I see you've made your decision so this might be pointless... but the Benvengudo is very nice. It's especially nice if you're going to be here in the heat of summer. It sits in a large garden, so it's cool, and the food is quite good.

It's two minutes from Les Baux itself, ten to fifteen minutes from St. Rémy and five from Maussane-les-Alpilles (the charming village I live in).

St. Rémy can be a zoo in the summer months - if you plan to go to the market on Wednesday, parking is a nightmare. If you stay in town, make sure they have parking.

Patricia
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patricia, no have not yet made the decision so thank you for your message I am now very well informed and really do take on board what you are saying. Many thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Patricia, what is a good way to get into the town of St Remy on a busy market day if we stay at Benvengudo?
We will have a car during our time
in Provence
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Message for Hawksbill
your recommendation for good food in Eygaliers - do you still have the name of the restaurant? Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:16 AM

I bet the Hawk means the Bistro de Eygalieres AKA Chez Bru!

http://www.chezbru.com/
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Chez Bru is definitely a destination food treasure but you'll spend a fortune there as well.(25 euro for dessert alone!) Micocouliers is another restaurant of note in Eygalieres, just around the corner(literally), with excellent food and a fraction of the price. Locals suggest this alternative. We had a great Prix fixe dinner there 2 weeks ago for 28 euros- great food and presentation. Paul
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I've been to both and sadly they closed Petite Bru which ws less expensive, it's now an Italian place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information