Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Milan, Venice, Florence and Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

My husband and I will be going to Italy in September for two weeks and we are arriving in Milan first, and then take the train to Venice, Florence and Rome. We are looking for hotel recommendations in all four places that are not too expensive, our budget is between 50-100euros. We are staying in Milan for two days, then head off to Venice for two days, and Florence for 4 days and then to Rome for another 4 days. We would like a location that is not too far from the center and also near a train station.

Another question that I have is - how easy is it the train travel from Florence to Cinque terre and how long would the train ride be? If the train travel is not too long, we might spend a day in Cinque terre.

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Christine
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM

In those locations you will need to increase your budget--probably double. You have picked expensive destinations.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Bob the Navigator

Thanks for the advise.

We will increase our hotel budget to 100-200 euros.

Christine
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Venice - either La Residenza (www.venicelaresidenza.com) or Bernardi Semenzato (www.hotelbernardi.com)
Florence - Nuova Italia (www.hotel-nuovaitalia.com)
In Rome or Milan I have nothing in this price range, sorry. but I'm sure you can find something in other topics
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Now I see you increased your budget. In Rome try the Modigliani (www.hotelmodigliani.com). maybe they have somethingon your price point
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Here are some to look at:

Rome---Hotel Smeraldo
Florence--Hotel Casci
Venice--Ca Dei Dogi
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Venice - Hotel Ai do Mori. Very central to San Marco - maybe a bit TOO central, depending on when you visit Venice. But we liked it between Christmas and New Year.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM

We stayed at www.relaiscavalcanti.com/ the last time we were in Florence. Venere reviewers give it 9.2 and tripadvisor 4 1/2 stars. Best bang for the buck we have found in Florence. My review is below

Francesca was the greeter and was wonderful. She is extremely helpful and even marks free maps with grocery stores, restaurants, etc, and gives each guest one. Great location. Can be a little noise early morning when the new market is being set up, but location more than makes up for it. If you have a room on the front side, you can lean out the window and see most of the domo dome. Easy walking distance to all the sights. Is on deadend street so no traffic and rooms have double windows. Air con works very well and was no extra charge for it. Have one flight of stairs to the elevator. There are snacks and make your on coffee and tea. Irish pub on front with good beer and wonderful restaurant (even mentioned in Rick Steves) on ground floor. Back side overlooks the new market. Only negative was too many keys (4), but is manageable. Another reviewer was correct - it does have the softest toilet paper in Europe. Will definitely stay there again.

The http://www.anticatorre.com/ is also good but more expensive. Was there in 2003 Location excellent, staff very friendly and extremely helpful. One long flight of stairs before elevator and no one to help with luggage. Gold room has a view. Pink, one stayed in, is light and quiet. Ditto on Red and Green, but no view from any. Ivory & Blue open on inner court yards with back of restaurants on ground floor. Will stay here again. Staff on duty from 8 am to 8 pm.Li mited breakfast is extra or was when were there.

Ditto on http://www.relaisuffizi.it/profilo-eng.htm It has staff all night and breakfast. it is next to the Uffizi and the antica t.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the Hotel Berna in Milan.

http://www.hotelberna.com/EN/rates_services/
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:50 AM

In Milan, last September, we stayed at the Hotel Bagliori. www.hotelbagliori.com. We walked from the train station. It was a nice room, with a large bathroom. It had floor to ceiling windows that opened onto a tiny balcony you could stand on. The room came with a nice continental breakfast and they also had a small garden you could sit in. We would stay there again.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:48 AM

I stayed in the Hotel Abruzzi and wouldn't do so again. I found the rooms a bit depressing and worn, and the hotel desk bordering on rude. The location rght in front of the Pantheon can also be a problematic location for some late night carousing in the piazza in warmer months. (There is no elevator, and narrow stairs, which is one reason the rates are low.)

You can check recent Tripadvisor reviews. Perhaps the hotel has improved greatly. But you should check Tripadvisor reviews for all these recommendations.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:10 AM

You have waited a bit long to book the best value accommodations for high season in three of the most ppular cities in Italy. Some possible options:

Florence:

Il Villino
San Gallo Palace (15-20 minutes walk to Duomo)

Rome:
Daphne Inn
Albergo Santa Chiara
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM

Florence: I whole-heartedly second charlesg's nomination for Relais Cavalcanti. I wrote their first TripAdvisor review some years ago and since updated it with my more recent stay (Sep 2007). We are booked there again this Sept.

Rome: Hotel Andreina. Read the TripAdvisor reviews though. It's a very clean, friendly and nice establishment close to the train station.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM

And I second kfusto's recommendation of Il Villino. We recently stayed there and loved it. It's a family run place in a great location, and the owner is both kind and delightful. Plus, I'm not sure but I believe that it's actually a bit cheaper than the Casci (it would have been for us, at the time I priced it -- but then again, we were looking for a triple).