Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Lisbon? Chiado or Castle district?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide which apt. to book... one in the Chiado district, or Castle? We've not been to Lisbon before, and don't know the pro's and con's of each of these areas. We'll be driving, and need to park our car in a public parking someplace..but the area and its proximity to the sites, restaurants and "things to see" is important. Noise level and safety are also important. Both apts. seem to be on quiet side streets.
Any input or help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I think that the Chiado district has a few advantages over the Castle area generally. It's less touristy, has better restaurants, and better public transportation. Both areas have a lot going on at night, so I think you run the risk of noise in both.

But I do know people who have stayed in the Castle district and really liked it a lot. I think safety would be slightly more of a concern in the Castle area, depending on where you would be. I know that some of the people who post here regularly have stayed in the Chiado in an apartment and liked it a lot, maybe they'll add some opinions.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Also. We know of at least one apartment in the Chiado district that has underground parking.
We were concerned with the Castle area as some places are not easily arrived at...very steep streets and steps.
We have stayed on Rossio, in Chiado, and now in Baixa. We did not have a car with us.
If you are interested in the location of the apartment with parking, I can find it for you.
The apartment location in Chiado we stayed in was very quiet at night as it was on Rua Garett, but above shops that closed in the evening. And we thought the location was wonderful.
But we haven't stayed in the Castle area.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

The one in Chiado is on the Rue Garett, and the other one in the Castle area seems to have a lovely view... and is slightly larger, which is the attraction. But I'd like a bit more information on the Castle area itself. Its easier to find info on Chiado it seems.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:33 AM

Yes. I think the Castle area would have a nicer view. I will give you that.
Good luck and let us know what you choose. I hope our place in Baixa is as nice as it looks.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM

I think a street name would help us give opinions. The "castle area" is kind of imprecise and could include a pretty large chunk of land. It could include the many winding, narrow streets leading up from Baixa to the castle (where you frequently run into dead ends and steep stairways), as well as the area up on the castle's elevation which is slightly more accessible. In general, the castle area is a lot more residential, with some big government agency and foundation buildings thrown in every now and then.

Both areas are currently undergoing a lot of renovation/gentrification, but I think the castle area can be more "hit or miss" than the Chiado.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

The Castle area apt. is on Calcada do conde de Penafiel.. looks like a small street linking two larger ones. I'd like to know how close this would be to public transportation, restaurants and shops/markets... noise etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I would stay in Chiado. Rua Garrett is in a good location. The famous Cafe Brasileira is on Rua Garrett. You are close to the Metro, shops, cafes, and can walk to many sites. (You are very close to Elevator Santa Justa.)

The Alfama District is very beautiful, but I wouldn't want to walk up and down that hill to Baixa all the time (although you could take the cable car). The views of the Tejo are stunning from this area.

Thin
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Hi, Kleroux,

If you put the street in google maps you will see that the street is actually closer to the Baixa and the cathedral than the castle. It is also a one way street. I can't really picture it, but I do know that the Rua Madalena, which is very close, has a steep up and down in that area.

And you can also see that the only public transportation close to the street is the tram. I'm sure it would be the #28. That particular tram will take you down to Baixa, back up to Chiado, and over to Estrela and Campo D'Ourique, but it is not nearly as well connected to all of downtown Lisbon as you would be on Rua Garrett, a stone's throw from the Baixa/Chiado metro stop.

Chiado has more commerce, more restaurants, and is probably a nicer neighborhood overall, but that's just my opinion.

Laurie
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM

p.s. Google Earth shows it really well. And also shows that there are several restaurants right nearby. I was also wrong when I said that it was closer to the cathedral, the castle is right there, it's just that the entrance to the castle is up and around a ways. I think you'll be happy in either place. good luck with the choice, let us know what you decide.