Where to stay in Garmish

Search

Where to stay in Garmish

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Garmish

I am trying to decide where to stay in Garmish. One hotel that sounded nice was Wittelsbach Top Hotel. Has anyone heard of it or stayed there? What other hotels in the area are nice. Clausings Post hotel is another and Reindls?? Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM

<BR>We stayed in Gasthof Fraundorfer in Partenkirchen a year ago. It was delightful and quite charming. Our triple room only cost $95 night. Apparently they have quite the Bavarian hoe-down in their restaurant every night that has been referred to in this forum several times. Unfortunately for us, we were there the one night of the week it was closed. <BR><BR>Here is their information if you are interested:<BR><BR>Gasthof Fraundorfer<BR>Ludwigstrasse 24D-82467<BR>Garmisch-Partenkirchen<BR>011-49-8821-92-70<BR>Fax: 011-49-8821-9-27-99<BR>www.gasthof-fraundorfer.de<BR>[email protected]
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:25 AM

I have stayed at Hotel Wittelsbach (Von Brugstrasse 24) twice and have enjoyed it.<BR><BR>The staff is very friendly and speak excellent English. The buffet breakfast is very good. The hotel has an indoor swimming pool. There is a grocery store very close by. If you can, get a room on the back of the hotel with a balcony or one facing the Zugspitze.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Do you think the Witelsback Hotel has a good location? It is hard for me to know looking at their map. Can you walk easily to shopping area? It looks like it would be good. Also did you eat in the restaurant? Is it closer to garmish downtown?? Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:18 AM

How long are you staying? After looking at hotels for a five night stay this coming June, I have since opted for an apartment in the heart of Garmisch for a full week -- for 658 euro. www.drawbridgetoeurope.com<BR>Mine is called &quot;Maria&quot;, and is just a couple blocks from the railway station.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Don't know about the Wittelsbach<BR>Don't know about the Reindls<BR><BR>I've stayed at Clausings Post Hotel twice and had a great room once and an &quot;ok&quot; room once. I'd recommend it. I've also stayed at the Zugspitze Hotel which is considerable newer and I think the breakfasts were better. The rooms are laid out a little strange, like a 'Z' shape, but they were larger than at the Clausings Post Hotel.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:08 AM
mikeycora

I have to second Tulsa. I've been there for acouple of hoe down week nights and what a ball. The rooms are excellent and just a few steps from the restaurant.

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

We are staying just 3 nights so a hotel would be better. I would like one with a pool for my daughter and close to shops so we can easily walk everywhere.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

I just got back replys from Reindls, Clausings and the Wittelsbach hotel and they are very simular in price. Which would you choose??
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Also I forgot to ask what restaurants you liked in garmish.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:48 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Fraundorfer<BR>in July and were not impressed by the room. The restaurant is very good and the Bavarian music and dancing (by the grandsons of owner) is terrific! It is also on a very nice back street but only one block from main street.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 03:05 PM

Are you absolutely set on Garmisch? We recently spent a really enjoyable few days at the Hotel Post in a smaller village near Garmisch called Mittenwald. More peaceful than Garmisch, I should think (though we only drove through it), and really well situated for hiking/mountain biking/cablecars etc. Several nice restaurants (including a good pizza place, which may sound weird, but believe me, you do not visit Bavaria for the cuisine unless you are a fat-addicted carnivore!)
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:00 AM

I can tell you where NOT to stay: Hotel Hilleprandt. My wife and I plus another couple were continually insulted by the owner, Klaus.

He apparently does not care for American travelers. He watched us like a hawk and 'corrected' us several times, once for using the patio. Apparently we were supposed to buy his wine, not the lovely bottle which we brought from the Rhine valley. Further, although advertised as a place with balconies, neither room had one [ours had the trash can outside our window.]When we asked Klaus about how to get to Ettal, he told us that we should visit places in Garmish. This was the low spot on an otherwise wonderful Germany-France-Austria trip.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:14 AM

Reindl's Partnerkirchener Hof is on the main street of Partenkirchen and a delight. Lovely restaurant, nice rooms, good service. Pool is ok but not as nice a feature as the rest. Opens onto their garden area. It's in a perfect part of town, close to shopping, near the train station. Every where in GAP (license plates for Garmisch-Partenkirchen) is pretty much walking distance. Delightful place--the town and the hotel.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Just arrived in Munich from spending a week in our &quot;Maria&quot; apartment I mentioned above from Drawbridge to Europe. It was a great experience.

But incidentally we had our best meal of the entire week at Reindl's mentioned above. It was a sensational meal -- and we were eating in their &quot;brasserie&quot;, not in the main dining room. Salad of rucola with sauteed fresh chantarelles, slices of parmesan, slivers of toasted onions, and a balsamic glaze. Then twin tenderloins of baby lamb that were smoked, served over creamy polenta, surrounded by baby green beans and cherry tomatoes stuffed with cheese. The whole thing drizzled with a rich wine sauce. And a spectacular cheese board, not to mention the bottle of 1992 (yes, I know it wasn't a great year -- but for 30euro, who cares) Riserva Comtessa Pinchot de Longueville (did I spell all that right?) Sensational place, and I'd stay there in a heartbeat, they gave us such a warm welcome.

On the other hand we went to Clausings one night for dinner. Sat at a table and waiting over 20 minutes along with maybe 30 other diners. In all that time, we still hadn't seen any servers -- not just for us, but for anybody!! The whole place was filled with people straining their necks and obviously looking for their food, to give an order, or to pay a bill, but there was no one in sight. We left.

I know the hotel isn't all about the restaurant, but these two incidents would sure put the Partnerkirchner Hof well above Clausings.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:12 PM

We were at Hotel Fraundorfer just last week ... friendly people, good food, and great fun.

Deiredre
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Dierdre,

How was your room? We're planning to stay at Gasthof Fraundorfer in September, and we've booked a double with a loggia and view.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:43 PM

We have been going to Garmisch since 1970. I have a hard time with the negative post regarding the HILLEPRANDT. We have stayed here at least 4 times with friends and have always had a great stay. Room 1 or 2 have patios and are great. Don't always take the poster at 100%. Try this place and you will see.

Another place is the POST HOTEL PARTENKIRCHEN. Nice hotel and great restaurant.