Search

where to stay in Florence?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:21 AM
spk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay in Florence?

I will be in Florence in June for 4 nights with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Looking for a well located hotel, with room for all 3 of us, maybe a jr. suite? Can spend around $400 US Dollars/night. Any ideas?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM

I just returned from my trip last night and had a great stay at the Savoy in Florence. Location and hotel fantastic. Will be posting more details in a trip report when I get over jetlag.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM

we stayed with our children in the Hotel Goldoni - we liked the location and that the hotel was relatively small - we ended up with a small room for the kids and a larger room for us, and I think it would be total aroudn your price. their web site is
hotelgoldoni.com
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:25 AM
jay

We just stayed at the A Teatro B&B. Had a triple room for the 3 of us. The room was huge with nice beds and the bathroom actually had a proper sized shower. I tink we paid 113E/ nt for the triple inclusive of breakfast.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:53 AM

B&B in piazza della signoria is a beautiful hotel that have rooms that look onto the famous piazza. The triple that my husband and I had (with my 16 yr old son, has a queen bed and a daybed for the kid. The bathroom is breathtaking.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:57 AM

http://www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com/
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I second Sandi's recommendation. It cost us 234 Euro for a double in January.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM
spk
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Looking forward to hearing details of your trip laartista.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM

We've stayed with our daughter at this place twice, and would gladly stay there again...check it out at www.villa-belvedere.com
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:39 PM
spk
Original Poster

Artlover, how did you get around? Could you walk or did you have to take transportation into town?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Only $400/night. If you could go to $500/600/night there a few real nice places in Florence. Do you think you extend yor budget or do you have to settle in the $400 range. Mike
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM

spk,
We usually walked into town--it was downhill and would either walk back (exhausted) or take a cab (short ride). We loved staying here as it was away from the all the tourists and very peaceful and yet it was close enough to walk. The views were lovely, they have a nice pool and beautiful garden, and the owners are so helpful and kind. There's a full breakfast included with the rate and the rooms are large and sparkling clean.

If you do stay there, tell them Paula and her family send best wishes.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM

The way I understand it is that you don't need to spend $400 or even $600 a night to stay in a nice hotel that's conveniently located.

I read about B & B In Piazza della Signoria and coincidentally contacted them a few months ago for a proposed fall stay. The receptionist, Monica, answered all of my questions and gave me a choice of rooms since it's very early still. The B & B fits all of your criteria except for the rate which is much lower. Seems to me you get more for less here.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM

The Westin Excelsior is THE place stay in Florence if your budget allows it. Mike
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Hotel Aprile is quite nice - and convenient.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:42 AM

The Excelsior is indeed a beautiful hotel but I am sure you will not be able to get a Jr. Suite there anymore for $400.00 US dollars.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:36 AM
spk
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I could spend more but would not like to!
We don't absolutely need a suite if the room can accommodate a rollaway. I thought a suite would be nice for my 16 yr old daughter. We are flexible. I am looking into all of your suggestions. Keep them coming! Thanks. Susan
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:58 AM
spk
Original Poster

sandi_travelnut, was your room at the B&B in piazza della signoria noisy at night? Please advise, thanks, Susan
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:40 AM

We had the Boticelli and my parent had the Michelangelo right next door. My parents room had double-paned windoes and heavy shutters and they said it was very quiet. Their room looked directly out onto the piazza. Ours had a partial piazza view and was (I think) slightly less soundproofed. The only problem I had was people talking right under our windows and the trash collector making noise at a tender hour. In general that trip, I had trouble sleeping the whole time, which now I believe was anxiety as I had my parents with us for thier first European trip.

The hotel is lovely, breakfast is amazing and the staff will do anything to please. Plus free internet and the full use of the hotel's kitchen. We used a hug oven to warm up some pizza we purchased on the street.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Here's the portion from my trip report about this hotel:

We caught 2 cabs to the B&B in Piazza della signoria on dei maggazini #2. You press the buzzer and Monica will let you in. The hotel is on multiple level. When you enter, you walk down a short hallway to get to the staricase or the tiny lift (mainly used for luggage). Up a flight to the level with the office and a couple of rooms, up another level to more rooms, a third level has the kitchen and breakfast room and the last level has a private room.

Monica was so friendly and gave us the run-down on the hotel. They offer use of the kitchen and unlimted high-speed internet from a laptop on a desk..free of charge.

The rooms are just like they are on the website. We had the Botticelli, a triple with a beautiful modern bath and a large comfortable bed. It looked partly onto the famous piazza. My parents, next door were in the Michelangelo. Lovely canopied bed and modern tiled bath with all windows looking onto the piazza. They were also double-paned and double shuttered to prevent noise.

Monica was quick with restaurant and museum reservations whenever asked, as well as, calling cabs which arrived in less than 5 minutes when called.

She told us that someone in the Medici family used to live in the building and that all the frescoes were original. My parents rooms have a lovely frescoe on the ceiling.

I must be extra-sensitive to the noises. I flung open the windows around 3am to look down upon the group that was standing under our windows, holding a very animated conversation which echoed on the walls. They looked up, saw me and continued their conversation. It made me really wish I was fluent in Italian.

The breakfast was very good. You go up to the breakfast room and everyone sits at a long wooden table. n The room is full of original oils, all very lovely with windows that look over the piazza. They first bring out plates with a variety of breads. There's already jams and jellies on the table as well as pitchers of fresh, luscious blood orange juice. Then the plates of ham and cheese arrive and eggs too if you'd like. The coffee (any style) keeps coming as well. Having others at your table certainly opens up the possibility of conversation that you might not have started in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -