Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:13 AM
D. Stewart

Does anyone have a favorite and reasonable place to stay in Edinburgh. We would like to stay in a central location. Thanks.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Cara

While not overly fancy, I found that the Old Waverly Hotel definitely suited my needs. It is a very clean hotel and offers a great location at a very reasonable price. Located on Prices Street, the hotel is located almost directly across from the train/bus station and within easy walking distance of both old and new towns. Make sure and ask for a room with the view of the castle.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:30 AM
GGinSF

"Reasonable" in Edinburgh is hard to define. Like London, the only inexpensive places are awful or far from the center of town. <BR> <BR>I stayed at: 17 Abercromby Place, Edinburgh, EH3 6LB Phone 0131/557-8036 Fax 0131/558-3453 E-mail [email protected] <BR> <BR>It wasn't cheap, but it was reasonable compared to other alternatives. It's a wonderful building in the New Town (Georgian section just north of the Castle). Within walking distance of a most sites, wonderful service, breakfast in a beautiful dining room. <BR> <BR>I strongly recommend it and feel it was worth the extra money vs. a out of the way place that requires bus or taxi to go anywhere. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Sheila

I recently stayed at the Metro in the Grassmarket- chain but good location. To be a good price you need to fix a deal with them. Both the Premier Lodge in the Grassmarket and the Travel Inn at Morrison Link are in the £40/room/night category and a central by anyone's standards

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Bob

THE HOWARD. Classy bed and breakfast near the city center.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:55 AM
roger

My wife and I got married at Dalhousie Castle outside of Edinburgh. When in the city we stayed at the IBIS hotel which is a block off the Royal Mile between the Castle and Holyrood. <BR> <BR>It is clean, centrally-located near historic points, restaurants, shops and has a helpful international staff. <BR> <BR>Prices were slightly higher than average, but given the location it was definitely worth it. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Melaney

My husband & I have stayed at The Dunedin Guest House, 8 Priestfield Rd., Edinburgh three times and LOVE it! It's a 4-star B&B with 2 star prices. Marsella is a third generation scottish innkeeper and knows all the best restaurants, sites, etc. She & David are wonderful hosts. It's a big historically-listed house with large, bright rooms and all have en suite bathrooms. Breakfast is cooked to order. Their Web site is: [email protected].

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Linda

My husband & I spent our wedding night in Dalhousie Castle. Highly recommend it, especially if you want to treat yourself. Friendly staff, great food, and quiet. Although not in central Edinburgh, quite a way out of town as a matter of fact, it wasa nice break from the hussle and bustle of the cities and "playing tourist".