Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Belgium

Search

Where to stay in Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2023, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could look at the Hampton by Hilton Antwerp Central Station. It has family rooms with more than one bed. I think you might have more difficulty finding suites in hotels with charm if they are in historic buildings, so you might try looking at American-style hotels like this one from the Hilton chain, which is after all not a bad hotel and ticks some of your boxes (location, family room).

I also understand that near Antwerpen Central station is not the best area, although I have never had a problem there. Tulips gave you a good suggestion about Hotel August near Antwerpen-Berchem station, that might also be a good place to start. Anywhere on a train line is a good solution.

Lavandula
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lavandula! Yes August looks nice, but not sure if it has suites based on the website. I can call them tomorrow. I will also look at Hampton. Thanks so much again.
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 01:15 AM

The immediate area of Central Station is OK, but you don't want to go east of the station. The Hampton is in the diamond area, it's fine but not particularly 'old world charming'.
I don't know your budget, August is expensive.
I often recommend this one https://hotelokathedral.com/
It's charming, next to the cathedral and good value. Don't know if they have suites. It's maybe 10/15 minutes walk to Central Station.
I would rather stay in the old center of town and walk (or take metro) to the station. The Hilton on Groenplaats is also in a historic building, right in the center of the old town and may have better options for suites.
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by lavandula
Is this in addition to your city trips (i.e. 5 destinations)? Or are you looking for recommendations of hotels near those cities, to replace staying in one of them? Or are you trying to find a base to see all of those cities?

Lavandula
visit:
  1. Bruges: Bruges is a small town that can easily be explored on foot. It has many beautiful buildings and canals, making it a picturesque destination. Staying in the historic center of Bruges will allow you to fully experience the town's charm. Some recommended hotels include Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges, Hotel Van Cleef, and Hotel de Orangerie.
  2. Ghent: Ghent is a vibrant university town with a rich history. The historic center of Ghent is also compact and can be easily explored on foot. Staying in a hotel close to the Graslei, a picturesque waterfront area, will put you in the heart of the action.
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 09:49 AM

We were in Belgium in summer 2016 with our young teens at the time. And we had a car and don't regret it. The cost of train travel for 4 was equal to the car rental/parking and we had a lot more freedom. I see you now want to stay in Antwerp. We stayed in Bruges at the Novotel which is inside of the canal toward the southside of town. We parked for a few euros in the underground garage next door. I would suspect spring is different to summer, but the crowds in Bruges from 10a-6p were out of control. It felt like a completely different town before and after the tourist crush arrived. If you want quiet, I'd suggest staying in Bruges, enjoying the off hours, and going elsewhere while the tourists descend on the town. We wanted to go to a small town from which my ancestors hailed and that is why we had a car. We loved Ghent, parked underneath a mall on the southside of town. And also Antwerp, but less so than the others. There we parked in a garage near the train station. Our last night was in Mechelen, another beautiful smaller town. Parked under the hotel.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolfn
We were in Belgium in summer 2016 with our young teens at the time. And we had a car and don't regret it. The cost of train travel for 4 was equal to the car rental/parking and we had a lot more freedom. I see you now want to stay in Antwerp. We stayed in Bruges at the Novotel which is inside of the canal toward the southside of town. We parked for a few euros in the underground garage next door. I would suspect spring is different to summer, but the crowds in Bruges from 10a-6p were out of control. It felt like a completely different town before and after the tourist crush arrived. If you want quiet, I'd suggest staying in Bruges, enjoying the off hours, and going elsewhere while the tourists descend on the town. We wanted to go to a small town from which my ancestors hailed and that is why we had a car. We loved Ghent, parked underneath a mall on the southside of town. And also Antwerp, but less so than the others. There we parked in a garage near the train station. Our last night was in Mechelen, another beautiful smaller town. Parked under the hotel.
Thanks for this information!!!