Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to visit the battlefields in Belgium. Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 01:42 AM
cobbaert

Want to visit the battlefields of the 2 world wars in Belgium. Friends recommended me to go to Ypres. <BR>Any recommendation for a hotel? Thanks. <BR>Ronny

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 05:34 AM
Al

I can't help you with a hotel in Ypres but I can suggest an itinerary. From the Cloth Hall Square in the center of town, take a bus leading out to Tyne Cot Cemetery, the largest British military cemetery anywhere in the world. The bus will drop you at a crossroads where you will walk a hundred yards west to the entrance. You may want to hike over to Langemark to the huge German cemetery there. From Tyne Cot, start hiking south toward Polygon Woods (a battlefield map would be a good aid). Be sure to hike a bit to the east and see the remains of concrete German blockhouses at the crest of Passchendael Ridge. See the Australian cemetery in the middle of Polygon Woods, then start working your way back toward Ypres, or walk back to the Tyne Cot crossroads and catch the bus. You could make all this much more easily by renting a bicycle at the Ypres railway station. The land is quite flat with slight rolling hills no more than 20 meters from crest to bottom. From Passchendael Ridge you will easily see why the Germans took the high ground and held it; you can see for miles across the low bogland toward Ypres. Once, this was one great swamp during WWI; today, it is meadowland populated by fat cows and plots of potatoes growing in huge quantities. Be prepared for intermittent drizzle rain.

Old Dec 30th, 1998, 07:52 PM
Dan

if you're considering the Ardennes region (Battle of the Bulge, the American Monument at Bastogne, etc.), a great place to use as a home base is a country hotel, Hostellerie St. Roch, in Comblain-le-Tour south of Liege - you can find it on the Relais and Chateaux web page. It's quiet, has a great dining room, and is within close driving distance to the major battle sites, LaRoche, Bastogne, Spa and Luxembourg.

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 03:58 PM
nickie

We're going to be including Bastogne in our itinerary next May, but will be staying in Trier. Seems like a good day trip from there, and to the big museum near Arlon. Has anyone gone through the cave trip - I understand there's a boat or something that goes through, I think it's called Grotte de Han or Roche ?

Old Jan 1st, 1999, 01:04 PM
Rod Hoots

Although not a world war battlefield, the battlefield at Waterloo is one of the most interesting I've visited. They have a very unique battlefield panorama museum and there is a great little "gasthouse" next to the museum that was founded by a Sergeant Major who participated in the battle. If you have time, drive over to the American WW II cemetery in Luxembourg. A beautiful place and it is where General Patton is buried. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 07:31 AM
Bob

I stayed in Ghent because I had friends there, but started in Ypres, where they had printed tours - easy to follow.