Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for 2 nights before LHR Int'l flight

Old May 31st, 2017, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming from St. Ives using public transportation and have 2 nights before our Heathrow flight. Any recommendations for an interesting quick stop (2 nights) with easy access to Heathrow (flight to US at 12:40). Thanks in advance!
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:21 PM

Windsor is close to Heathrow and is an interesting place to visit.

Of course, there is always London!
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:33 PM

Very close to Heathrow is the Swan in Staines. It is a lovely old inn right on the edge of the Thames. It has a lovely our door deck, English flowers - full on! It is also close (and accessible by public bus I think) to Windsor. There is a nearby town with many choices of restaurants altho we dined at the inn and it was very good. We took a taxi to Heathrow - reasonable price. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor - it might be a nice option for you
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:51 PM

I'd planned to stay at the Swan on my last trip, had walked by it the previous time on the Thames Path and thought it looked great. But a friend intervened and had me stay with her...foiled. I will be giving it a try next visit, barring another helpful friend.
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

That sounds lovely! We've been in London a number of times, although once more is always a possibility! I seriously considered Windsor. I will definitely look at Swan in Staines. Any other ideas??
Old May 31st, 2017, 02:27 PM

Richmond is a lovely place to stay, not far from Heathrow, close to Kew Gardens,

Kingston upon Thames now has a Hilton Doubletree right by the river, great shops, lots of restaurants by the riverside, direct bus service to Heathrow, close to Hampton Court Palace.
Old May 31st, 2017, 02:40 PM

How are you getting from St Ives to London?

Assuming you're getting the train, the best bit of the journey is the crossing of the Tamar on Brunel's famous bridge just before you get to Plymouth, and then the stretch after Totnes which follows the coast into Exeter. Just gorgeous. Make sure you're not in the loo for those bits!
Old May 31st, 2017, 03:01 PM

By the way, The Swan is about a mile and a half walk along the river on the Thames Path to Runnymede and the Kennedy Memorial, if it interests you.

Richmond is one of my favorites, too, have stayed there several times and would be excellent for visiting Kew Palace, the Royal Botanic Garden at Kew and Ham House, all walking distance along the river. My visit last year to Richmond & environs:

http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/engl...ichmond-to-kew
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/engl...ath-kew-palace
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/engl...th-kew-gardens
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/the-...use-and-garden