COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

inexpensive lodging near Heathrow and what to do with 24 hr. layover

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Amer. anglophile

My husband and I will fly into Heathrow around 4pm on Saturday, 4 January 2003. We then fly to the USA sometime Sunday late afternoon/ evening. We're trying to figure out what to do with the time.
We've never been to Hampton Court; isn't that relatively near Heathrow? Can you get there by train without having to go into central London?
Also, we'd like to stay in either a bed and breakfast or hotel for less than 75 pounds a night. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:26 PM
Kay

I think from memory that Windsor is not far from Heathrow, you can visit the town and Windsor Castle and there are lots of B&Bs there. Check it out.
Kay

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:47 PM
janis

LHR doesn't have good rail connections to much of anywhere except central London. The Paddington express is great but to get most other places requires chnages/bus connections etc.

With that much time I would do one of two things:

1) Take the train into London and stay anywhere in the West End or near Paddington. You would have time to see a play or concert Saturday night and something Sunday Morning. Then take the train back to LHR for your flight.

2) Take a cab to Windsor and wander around the town and along the river if it is not too stormy. Have a nice dinner in any of several good restaurants. Then on Sunday morning visit the Castle and about 2.5 hours before your flight.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:10 PM
Leslie

If you decide to stay overnight in Windsor I can recommend the the Alma Lodge Guest House, a homey B & B run by twin brothers. It was about 65 GBP for a twin room in February. Here is their info:
Alma Lodge Guest House
58 Alma Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 3HA
Telephone: 01753 855620
Fax: 01753 855620
Email: [email protected]

You can view it, and other places, on www.smoothhounds.com. Rex had recommended the Fairlight Lodge but I couldn't get a booking there. It is also viewable on smoothhounds.

Others have recommended places right at Healthrow or the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel in Windsor which is beautiful, but I found most of them too expensive for me.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:22 PM
xxx

with 24 hours or there abouts, I would not stay at the airport. Heathrow accomodations are very expensive for what you get. One can find cheaper rates at better hotels in the city centre and actually have time to see something.

The Windsor suggestion is a good one.

However, if you have not spent much time there I recommend staying in London instead. The wonderful holiday decorations will still be up and there is much to see.