Where to stay?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:04 PM
EPB

Where to stay?

Where should my wife and I consider staying: hotels, B&Bs or apartments? What are advantages and disadvantages of each?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:32 PM
trying

You have to name the place you intend to go to in order to get any answers.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:32 PM
nancy

Don't know what country you're considering but I stayed one week and later 2 weeks in an apartment in London and later for a month at an apartment in Paris. The advantages of an apartment is that you have a kitchen and can eat in whenever plus usually some washer/dryer facilites. The hotel, of course, will clean up your room but not very cosy. A one night or two in a B&B can be fun but you're living in someone else's home so not much privacy accept in your room. My personal preference if you have a week or so would be an apartment.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:37 PM
billy bob

How about a van down by the river!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:11 PM
Patrick

I'm uncomfortable staying in someone else's house -- even friends or relatives, so B&B's are out for me.

Hotels are the most convenient with full services, but I never do room service and utilize very few of the other services.

For a week stay, apartments are usually great. I never cook in, so the kitchen only gives me a place to put some orange juice and maybe some cheese, but I like the space that an apartment gives. If you are one place for a week and want to come back in the afternoons to rest or relax, the apartment is oh-so-much nicer than just a hotel room. And it's easier to pretend that you actually live in that city rather than just visiting.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:11 AM
epb

Sorry, in my haste I failed to mention WHERE we were visiting. It is London. Has anyone tried an agency called the Bulldog Club (or something like that)?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:43 PM
janis

EPB - You might want to start a new thread since as you now know this title isn't working. Adding your latest post doesn't improve the title, so folks still won't know where you are asking about unless they open the thread.

But to answer your main question (I have not used the Bulldog club) -- in London there are soooooooo many places to stay in every category, you will have tons to choose from. I always rent a flat in London unless I am there only a day or two. Whatever your budget, a flat will give you more space, a washer/dryer, a full kitchen, etc, which you do not get in a hotel or B&B.

But many people like having the amenities of a full service hotel. if that is you - then look into some of the many apartment hotels. They have fully furnished flats plus concierege, front desks, laundry services, etc.

I usually stay in individually owned flats w/o these services because I like the individuality and don't like cookie cutter modernish flast you sometimes get in those type places.

But places like Chelsea Cloisters and Dolphin Square are wonderful - hotel amenities and nice apartments.