Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to spend our 2 extra nights in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Debby

We'll be on the Amalfi Coast. Is it unrealistic to spend 3 days and 2 nights in Sicily ? If we do what are the highlights we shouldn't miss. Where should we base ourselves? <BR><BR>Thanks for the help<BR><BR>Debby

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Patrick

How would you get there. If you have two nights left, don't you really mean spending two nights and one day there? It would probably take you the better part of a day to get there and a day coming back to where ever. That only leaves one day, the way I see it. If that is the case, the answer would be Taormina in my opinion. That's about all the time you'll have, but it is a wonderful spot.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Alice Twain

I would rather spend the full 5 nights in the Amalfi area and spend the two extra days for daytripping to Naples, the islands of Procida or Ischia (less touristy but nicer than Capri and with thermal baths), the Reggia in Caserta (a jewel of civil baroque architecture) or at the Parco Nazionale del Cilento (Cilento National Park, http://www.parks.it/parco.nazionale.cilento/Eindex.html).

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:28 AM
maria

Fly to Taormina (Catania airport) and spend 2 nights there. If you can afford it, stay at the San Domico Palace.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:47 AM
maria

Sorry, I meant San Domenico Palace.