3 nights in Buthan?

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 nights in Buthan?

I know it is short, but I will be in Delhi on business and was considering flying to Paro for a long weekend.

Given the hefty daily rate, having such a short time might be beneficial, but is it just too short? Would one day more get me anything? Suggestions for must see/do's?

thanks for all input.

Old May 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM

I would do it, especially if you don't think you'll be in this part of the world again soon. With a short trip, you'll still get a good glimpse of life in Bhutan. Paro is a beautiful and quiet small town. You can see many of the best temples, go hiking, and take a day trip to the Haa Valley. Paro can be a good base for a short trip. I'd recommend staying at the Gangtey Palace if you want authenic and simple, or Uma Paro for something much more expensive and very luxurious.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Mealea. I am wondering whether to just stay in Paro and day-trip it around, or add one more day and go somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

wow? nobody else?
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:26 AM

Not many people have been to Bhutan, just a few of us on this board. How many nights would you stay minimum or maximum? What month would you be going there?

If it's three nights, then I might suggest staying the whole time in Paro, with a side trip to the Haa Valley or even Thimphu (2 hours by car). I haven't been to Haa, but some people said it's beautiful. There's plenty to do in and around Paro, including the famous Paro Dzong and Tiger's Nest. It's a really scenic and peaceful area.

If you did four nights, then I might suggest trying to go all the way to Punakha to see more scenery and the famous dzong there. Five nights would be more relaxed if going this far.

For three nights, I would probably relax in the Paro area and just soak up the atmosphere. I can give you more specific tips if you tell me how many nights and which hotel you're thinking of in Paro. Hope this helps.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm leaning towards a 4 night trip, if I can swing it with work, and it looks like the trip will be somewhere between July/August. This puts me into the rainy season, and leaves me wondering if it is a lot of moeny to pay for fog...
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Ben

With limited time, I suggest focusing upon the Paro area and skipping Thimphu.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hmm. If staying in Paro i might have to stick with 3 days. I had hoped to get a little further inland.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I think 3 nights is awfully short to go to any country and get a feel for it. I'd stay as long as possible given the rest of the facts of your trip and your job. Bhutan is only now beginning to develop a tourism infrastructure. There are not a lot of places to stay outside of Paro and Timphu unless you can allow more time to get to them. When we were there (and probably still), there were essentially only 2 roads -- an east/west and a north/south. It's a stunningly beautiful country both in its natural setting; its people and, especially, its temples. I recommend going for as long as possible and, if you can only go to Paro and Timphu, do it. Neither one can really be classified as a city, they're small towns.
Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the kind advice. I am a little worried by it being monsoon season as well, but what can you do. I will have to see more about my work situation before committing fully to a plan. If I'm lucky it'll be delayed so I get there around September.