Reload this Page >

Where to purchase Road Map of Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Denise

We are leaving for Italy in a few weeks and it is our first time driving (Lake Como area). Where can we purchase a road map and also we need to become familiar with the road signs before going? Can anyone recommend a web site or book store that has this?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Denise

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:20 AM
cash

Barnes & Noble - in person or on the Website

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Bob C

Borders, Barnes & Nobel for maps.<BR>one location for signs is http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/guide.html

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Wayne

If you want something that is truly detailed and has every driveable road in Italy, you don't need folding maps because they are too awkward in a size that would have such detail. If you can get to a big book store or can buy from Amazon.com, look for the Rand McNally Road Atlas of Italy, over 100 pages of great detail including road signs and other handy info for travelers. It's the best I've ever used, and is all I use any more.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Marsha

We just returned from 17 days in Italy. I bought a map from a bookstore before we left and also put in our destinations from city to city on the Michelin site which I printed to take with us. When we picked up our car in Florence we were surprised to find that it had a navagtion system. What a surprise to us and what a wonderful thing to have. Our teenage son programed everything in English and a female voice (we named Gina) told us every turn to make. We were never lost although my husband didn't listen to Gina a few times. This can really take the pressure off the driver. We feel we had many more hours to site see since we were never lost!! I didnnn't request this feature when we rented the car. Maybe they are standard over there. I know we will always request this in the future if we rent a car abroad. We got the car through Hertz before we left for $325 for 1 week, unlimited mileage and $0 ded. for everything. It was a Nissan.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Denise

As Wayne suggested I tried to locate the Rand McNally Road Atlas of Italy, but had no luck (no longer available on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.com). I tried Barnes and Noble (2 locations in Manhattan) and couldn't find any road maps of Italy except for a small Michelin. I would have rather had a large map because I hate to flip pages to find connecting maps (a spatial problem of mine). What map would you suggest getting? I just need from Milan to the lakes and back. Is their a website that has a good map?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Denise

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Alec

AA Road Atlas Italy covers the whole country in 1:250000 (4 miles to an inch) and costs &pound;13.99. You can order from Amazon.com or .co.uk<BR>For the Italian Lakes, I suggest orange Michelin Italy North West 428 (being reprinted) or more detailed K&uuml;mmerly+Frey (produced by Touring Club Italiano) Italian Travel Map Lombardy.<BR>Try also www.omnimap.com

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:06 PM
mike

for a good overall map with decent resolution check out this michelin book:<BR><BR>Michelin Italy : Tourist and Motoring Atlas 2002 (Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas : Italy (Spiral), 8th Ed<BR><BR>Caveats: you need to flip plus not all roads are indicated..if you want an oversize map, you can get the regional michelin maps though you've to get a couple of them if you are covering large areas...<BR><BR>the best map i've seen so far is the touring club italiano (tci) with superb details...i don't think bn/amazon has it in live stores for perusal but tci is readily available in newstands once you get to italy; many people also say they are available in the autogrill stores by the highways but by then you should already know where you're heading...i didn't care much for the color used in tci though...<BR><BR>availability: i bought the michelin spiral at b&n (86st/3rd) for ~$17; if you want to take a peek before u commit, search amazon using "michelin italy" and look for the '7th edition' down in the 4th page and they have 70 pages for you to preview and zoom in...<BR><BR>additional resources of help:<BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/drive/about_drive.htm<BR>browse through intro section rick steves italy<BR><BR>disclaimer: i don't work or own stocks for the aforementioned companies...

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Doug Weller

I find it a bit odd no one mentions Italian road maps.<BR><BR>http://www.travelguidewarehouse.com/maps/italy_tciregionalroadatlas.htm<BR><BR>http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/drive/maps.htm<BR>(which says: "You need good maps for planning your trip and for when you are in Italy. The Michelin maps are commonly available in the US (in your local travel bookstore), but they do not have enough detail. They are good for an overall picture of the area and for initial planning, but to really study an area before you leave, and to have with you while driving, you need the Touring Club Italiano maps."<BR><BR>Doug<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Marilyn

I'm not sure if you have time, but you might locate the closest Italian tourist office to you--like NY, Chicago, etc. and call or email them to ask for a map. We have used one we received for the Umbria area. Marilyn

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:20 PM
TJ

Don't get too hung up on the map. We just did the Michelin trip and had a map. Although they were helpful as a frame of reference, Italy has signs all over the place noting the direction for cities. All you really need is to keep in mind what cities/towns are between you and your final destination (signs for small towns don't appear until you are close to the town itself). We took a couple "wrong turns" that may have taken us the long way but had alot of fun stumbling across towns, views or sites that we may not have otherwise seen. Enjoy

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:25 PM
xxxx

As Marilyn suggested, if you're in NY I'm sure you can go to the Italian Tourist office where you can get loads of maps and information. I just went to the one in Chicago and got a city map of each city in Italy that we will be in next month. And all for free!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Denise

I ordered the Michelin tour atlas from Amazon. At least it's something to start with. Thanks for all your ideas. I will try calling the Italian tourist office and see if they have also. We don't start the driving part of our trip till we leave Venice so I can always locate the Touring Club Italiano maps when I get there. Usually I plan too much for a trip. This time I am trying to just go with the flow. I don't think we can get too lost and it will be part of the fun.<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Denise

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:29 AM
Denise

Dear Doug,<BR><BR>I just looked up your site references and ordered the Touring Italiano road map along with a Berlitz guide to phrases. I also printed out the road signs info. Great helpful sites. I will probably return the Michelin.<BR><BR>Thanksyou,<BR>Denise

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Doug Weller

Hi Denise,<BR><BR>Glad I could be of help.<BR><BR>Doug