Where to pick up rental car in Paris

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Where to pick up rental car in Paris

We are travelling from Paris to Dijon via Epernay (DH works for Australian Wine company) by car and am wondering where the best place to pick up the car would be to avoid traffic in Paris. We are probably going to use Hertz for good Qantas FF deals. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM

First trip to Europe in 2005.Wanted car for trip to Brittany-prebooked through a travel agent here in Oz.We decided to catch taxi+train across Paris to pick up car in Versailles(town not tourist place)to avoid traffic in Paris.(First time for husband driving on RHS of road!).We had the misfortune to get a car hire place(next to the station,though) where NO ONE spoke any English.Also no maps(had had them with 3 other car hires).Heard the word GPS(never seen one though!),and that was our lifeline.Using the manual,managed to change the settings to English,and problem solved.Can't remember the name of the car company,but strongly advise checking re language(if you don't speak French).Good luck!!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
ira

Hi M,

Take the train to Epernay - 1:15 hr, 19.4E, or take the train to Dijon - 20E.

Get car there.

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ira, trains were our first option, but we wish to visit some of the wineries around Epernay and Dijon and thought a car would be more convenient and cheaper for our family of four. Is it difficult driving out of Paris? have looked up www.viamichelin.com which gives great detail to directions but still concerned about traffic. we are using trains for the rest of our trip through Switzerland and Italy.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Ira, also where have you gotten those train prices because when I have tried to cost the trip to Dijon from Paris in September and cannot find anything less than 160euro for our family of four.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Ira's 20 euros is a one way PREM fare for one person. You are pricing it is a round trip for four. 160 euros divided for 4 people and divided again by 2 for a round trip gives you 20 euros per ticket.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Hertz at the airport and get the "never lost" sat nav.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM

mariebut,

"Is it difficult driving out of Paris?"

No! If I can do it, anybody can do it. If I have a GPS system in my car, I will drive anywhere.

Have a good time. Driving in France is so much fun.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM

I get all of my cars at Gare du Nord. One of the things I like about it is that all of the car rental companies there have dozens if not hundreds of cars (they use both the Gare du Nord parking lot (level -6) and the Lariboisière parking lots (levels -4 and -5) a block away, so you are generally given a choice of 2 or 3 different models in each category). At the small places, you just have to take whatever they've got.

Traffic is flowing fine in Paris at the moment, but lots of areas are having truck slow-down strikes blocking the autoroutes to protest the oil prices.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help, we are staying near Gare du Nord so that may be a great option.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM

try contacting your hotel, and ask if a car can be dropped off? We did this several trips ago - we were left bank just off the Seine by a block - Relais Christine hotel on tiny Rue Christine. As I recall, the added cost was about $20, but they brought the car to the hotel, we signed all the paperwork as if we were at the car rental desk, loaded up right there in the street in front of the hotel, and headed so very easily out of town. (This was also Hertz, by the way.)
I know many people do choose to go retrieve, but we've done this in London also, and believe me - it's so much easier!! and, poof! you're on the road.
Jo Ann
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 05:31 AM
ira

Hi M,

>we wish to visit some of the wineries around Epernay and Dijon and thought a car would be more convenient ....

Well, if you get your car in Dijon or Epernay, you can easily visit the wineries.

What will a day's car rental cost? Add tolls and fuel charges of about 48E.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Ira is always so practical!

I find it exhilirating to drive out of Paris and watch the suburbs gradually turn into verdant countryside. Practicality be damned, even though I confess that I am really paying attention to the price of fuel these days and modifying certain driving plans in accordance with that.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
ira

>I find it exhilirating to drive out of Paris and watch the suburbs gradually turn into verdant countryside. <

Not to mention driving 300km on major highways.

There is one advantage to the car, though - a stop at Auxerre for a few hours.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM

I would have said Avallon.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM

"I find it exhilirating to drive out of Paris and watch the suburbs gradually turn into verdant countryside."

I'm losing it. First time I read it I saw "... watch the suburbs gradually turn into violent countryside."

Anselm