Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to meet Austrian tourists in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from Austria of course. I am learning German and I am interested in hearing legitely spoken Austrian German. But everywhere I go all German speakers turn to be from Germany.ayhe Austrians just prefer different places. Where do they go? I heard they go to places in Croatia on the sea as well as around Lignano in Italy. But aren't those resort type of places? I don't frequent places where the all inclusive gang go. I was hoping to find some place where younger Austrians go so I can speak directly to them for example on a hostel event and practice my German with them and hear authentic Austrian German.

Ironically all German speakers I met while living in Bratislava which is just across the Austrian border were Germans! Do Austrians only go to Croatia and Italy for the sea? Do they ever visit places like Budapest?
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:17 AM

Germany's population is 83.8 million, Austria's population is almost nine million. Looking for Austrian tourists is like looking for Canadian tourists and finding only tourists from the U.S.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:20 AM

I guess I don't understand why you just wouldn't go to Austria to hear and speak Austrian German?
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:26 AM

I dont' understand that, either, why not go to Austria?

I met some once on a train from Vienna, I think they were tourists and were going to Krakow.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience is that there is not one single Austrian accent, my sister speaks with one from the west end in the mountains and struggles with the yokels to the east of Vienna.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 09:34 AM

Bavarian is spoken from Munich up to Tramin ((between Bolzano/Bozen and Trento) and from St. Anton am Arlberg up to Eisenstadt.
There are of course many local dialects. Tyrolians don't speak like Viennese people, etc.
Outside this area, people speaking "good" German or German dialects are just more numerous than Bavarians.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 10:02 AM

I was on a boat trip a few years ago on my son's boat. The other guests were Dutch, German, German speaking Swiss, and Austrians. I was the only one who couldn't speak German, and still can't. It was interesting to see how the different German speakers struggled to understand one another.
But then again I struggle to understand some Dutch dialects and accents, and some dialects and accents in the UK too, so it is not really surprising.

I suspect most Austrians stay in Austria. We certainly don't see too many Austrian cars when we are on our travels.