Where to have breakfast in Florence??

Apr 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Where to have breakfast in Florence??

Any recommendations for a good place to have breakfast somewhere near the Duomo? Near the Duomo because I plan to walk up the Campanile while Mom sips her second cappuccino. Ideally, a place with outdoor seating somewhere pretty. This is for a Sunday morning, and since we have to leave at 10 am, we need a place that will be open around 8 am. Thanks!
Apr 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Oh, you just brought a flashback: sitting in a cafe near the Piazzale Michelangelo, eating breakfast (well, a roll and coffee) with Florence spread out at our feet.

This location won't work for you. At least not on this occasion.
Apr 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM

hi, misqui,

your question remindedd me of a thread I read a while ago which mentioned a small department store just by the duomo which has a cafe with a terrace overlooking the Duomo. That might be a nice place to rest while you labour! hopefully the OP wil se this and join in.

otherwise, there are lots of nice cafes in the area.

I suggest that in case it takes longer than you expect, or mum gets bored, you have a meeting point set up for a specific time. I seem to remember it took us about 30-35 minutes to get up and down the campanile.

regards, ann
Apr 28th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Hi, again, misqui

Wow - the wonders of fodor. I just searched this forum, and found what I was looking for:

"The afternoon we arrived, my daughter took me to a rooftop café, which overlooks the Duomo. It is on the top of a nice little ‘department’ store. I think it’s called Ristorante Ottorino, via delle Oche, 12-16r. We enjoyed wine and salads, on the sunny afternoon, with a close-up view of the Duomo. A very nice introduction to Florence for me."

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:25 AM
MaureenB

Hey, that was my thread! Glad to hear it's helping. But, I wonder if that department store would be open so early on a Sunday? It was great for lunch, but we didn't look to see if there's a breakfast menu there. Maybe you can Google it.
>-

Apr 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Great recommendation, but I just googled it, and sadly, it's closed Sundays. In flipping through some travel guides, it looks like a lot of places are closed sundays, or open in the afternoon. Do you think we'll be able to find something with nice outdoor seating open so early on a Sunday?
Thanks!
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM
MaureenB

I Googled it out of curiosity, and that particular restaurant is closed on Sundays. I'd definitely suggest it for lunch one day, though.

Here's a helpful website with restaurant hours:
http://www.nyu.edu/lapietra/Restaurants.htm
>-

Apr 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Try Cantinetta dei Verrazzano. http://www.bombasticlife.com/pe-ital...errazzano.html
Its a few blocks from the Duomo but I think it might a good place. I don't recall if they had outside seating or not but it was a great little place.