Where to go: Rome, Florence, Venice

Sep 21st, 2000, 08:54 AM
Alina

Where to go: Rome, Florence, Venice

We just got our tickets for March 17-26 to Rome and are contemplating where to go and for how long during those 8 days. My husband and I agreed we should stay in Rome for 4-5 days. After that he suggested we should go to Venice, I suggested Florence. Our interests are architecture, art, history, fountains, food, parks, photography, people. We also like to walk a lot, start day early in the morning and do not care for any nightlife except going out to nice restaurants. We are not those tourists who like to visit eight different places in eight days. We would love your sugestions where to go: Rome and Florence, Rome and Venice or Rome, Florence, and Venice. How long to stay at each. Why?
Thank you so much for your ideas
Ali

Sep 21st, 2000, 09:02 AM
Nancy

Ali,
tha last time I was in Italy we went to Rome and took a train for a day trip to Florence. It was a wonderful train ride and the visit to Florence was well worth it. The Duomo and Baptistry are wonderful architectural marvels. We visited the Museum of Science -- probably not the most popular, but what a treat to see Galileo's actual instruments! Perhaps you can fly into Rome spend the 3-4 days seeing the sites there - then take the train to Florence - spend a couple days - then on to Venice for the remainder. Have a great time!

Sep 21st, 2000, 09:56 AM
howard

For an eight-day visit, taking in all three cities would be rushing it a bit. You are smart in devoting 4-5 days to Rome. The Eternal City deserves at least that much. As for the other city, I'd give a slight edge to Florence, based on your list of "criteria." (not too many fountains or parks in Venice.) Considering that Venice is my all-time favorite, I amaze myself with that recommendation! However, you have the luxury of choosing between two wonderful destinations. Both Florence and Venice are memorable sites. Either city is great for people watching and photography.
You could do all three cities in eight days, but you'd be shortchanging all three. Better to save one for your next trip to Italy. And you definitely will go back!

Sep 21st, 2000, 12:41 PM
lisa

I agree it's a good thing you're planning 4-5 days in Rome. Both Venice and Florence have spectacular architecture, art, and history, as well as wonderful food, people, and opportunities for photography. You will get your fill or fountains in Rome so I wouldn't weigh that into the equation so much. Both are so terrific but personally I prefer Venice a little bit more than Florence, so I would advise 5 in Rome and 3 in Venice. If you don't mind a taste of everything you could do 4 in Rome, 2 in Venice and 2 in Florence. Normally I would say that's too rushed but you know yourselves best.

Sep 21st, 2000, 12:55 PM
sally

After the hustle and bustle of Rome, I would think that you might enjoy the serenity and peace of Venice, especially since you enjoy walking. I loved Florence, but found it to be crowded, noisey, and hectic. Save it for another trip. I would personally want at least 3 days in Venice to be able to touch on all that it has to offer. Either one you choose, though, will be delightful. Have fun!