help! 6 hrs. in Paris w/ a 6 mo. old

Sep 20th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Lisa

help! 6 hrs. in Paris w/ a 6 mo. old

We have a layover in Paris from 2:00 in the afternoon till 8 in the evening when our flight leaves to Bern. Anyone got advice on getting out of Charles de Galle airport and into the city for a few hours? Would prefer taking train/metro, don't speak French. Think we will want to be stretching our legs after the long flight from California. Someone suggested the Picasso museum, is that easy to get to from the airport? Please help, I don't want to spend 6 hours in the airport with my baby!

Sep 20th, 2000, 08:34 AM
love2trvl

Hi Lisa:
As many on this forum will tell you 6 hours in CDG is now really a long time. Paris is at least 45 minutes to one hour ride. You will have been flying all night and if you are delayed at all you really won't have 6 hours at all. You have be back at the airport at least 45 minutes before your connecting flight to Bern. There are a few places to eat and relax in CDG. Hope you have a nice trip!

Sep 20th, 2000, 02:35 PM
Christina

I don't think the Picasso museum is a good idea; it's not on the direct line from the airport. Probably you really will not get out of there until 2:30 or so if 2 is your scheduled arrival time and you would have to be at the gate by 7, probably. So that's about 4 hours really; travel time each way is 45-60 minutes on the RER sub. train if you know what you're doing, or by cab, so that gives you maybe two hours to do something. If you don't want to spring for a cab, I would recommend either taking the RER train direct to the St-Michel stop and getting out there and walking around Notre Dame, the Seine, sit in a cafe, etc OR take the Air France shuttle bus direct to the Arc de Triomphe and walk around there. The Air France bus is probably easier as you won't have to figure out the metro system, and if you take it to the Arc you will know where to pick it up to go back to CDG, it takes about 45 minutes. It depends on how used to that kind of stuff you are. However, you will not save tons on the metro/AF bus over a cab if there are three of you; I'm sure sure if any of those modes of transportation charge for a baby, prob. not, but the other fares will be about $10 a head one way, and a cab might be about $35-40--so you might save $20 each way, depends on how much that is worth to you. If you go to any musuem, I'd suggest the Cluny (Medieval stuff) as it is right on the RER line, just after the St-Michel stop.

Sep 21st, 2000, 04:14 AM
s

Lisa,
I hate to throw in a monkey-wrench and ask an obnoxious question, but do you know that the train trip to Bern is less than six hours? Imagine, just when your plane is taking off from Paris, you would already be in Bern. You could spend that time stretching your legs by walking the corridors of the train and munching on snacks from the snack trolley (or sandwiches from a vendor at the train station). The trip takes 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours from Paris Gare-de-Lyon. Check out the schedule and fares at www.rail.ch; go to the timetables section.

s

Sep 21st, 2000, 11:23 AM
Christina

well, I don't know about Lisa, but I don't think that's an obnoxious question, I think it's a very good point, and one I (and perhaps others) hadn't thought of. I agree with you, I'd take the train unless the air flight was free or a lot cheaper than the train. Of course, you do have to get from CDG to Gare Lyon which will take maybe an hour and a little money.

Sep 21st, 2000, 01:29 PM
what-is-she

Just make sure you post when and at what time you are taking your 6-month old baby (just off a transatalantic flight, mind you...) to the Picasso Museum, so I can stay clear of the place. Now there is a smart choice...