Where to go...Provence + ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I make any final decisions, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions.

To celebrate her 80th birthday, my mom and I are going to Provence next April - a week in Menerbes to be exact. We've rented a gorgeous apartment on the top edge of the town looking out over an expansive southern view. My mom is mobile, but not the hiking or long walks type. (Funny how we ended up in Menerbes - it's not the ideal location for someone who is probably not going to do much walking on sloped streets, but she had the final say. It guarantees that I'll get more exercise when I go for the daily croissants and look for parking after I drop her off. That's what we do for our moms, right?!) She's never been one to go to the beach. We'll have a car and plan to visit the surrounding towns, markets and shops. We like a museum now and then too, and adore great views.

One option is to stay in the same apartment for a second week (although it might not be an entire week), but I don't know if I'd go stir crazy or not (feel free to chime in here too), so we're also considering going to another town, and that's where I'm asking for help. Where would you go? If it's too close to Menerbes, there's no point in leaving this little slice of heaven we've found. What about Uzes? Too close? Also toying with the idea of going towards the Mediterranean, but not for the beaches, just the views. We're not really limited, but my mom has been dreaming of returning to the south of France for 10 years so would probably not opt for Paris, Normandy, or the Loire, for example. It would certainly be easier to just stay in the same place and I've read many posts by people who have done just that! I'm just trying to consider all options before reaching a final decision. Give me your opinion, please!

We're paying 1000 Euros for the first week, but would prefer to pay less for the second week. (We also preferred to pay less for the first week, but couldn't pass up this apartment.)

We'd love to hear any suggestions to see what you all would do! Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM

How about someplace in the hills behind Nice - with a view of the Mediterranean. Vence, St Paul, Nice itself.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Vence is truly a good possibility. It has a couple of lovely little museums of its own, and there are fabulous views from many spots as well. Tourettes sur Loup is another place with views all the way to the Med.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good, thanks - I'll look into those two and also see what my mom thinks!
Any recommendations on where to stay?

And..any other suggestions?
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Le Hammeau, just outside of St Paul.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - we're looking into the above possibilities, especially since I just booked our homebound flight out of Nice!
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Kwren, If you are considering Nice itself, take a look at the Hotel Suisse. It's a short walk to the old town and has gorgeous views of the promenade and Baie de Anges. I'll bring photos to the Philly GTG if you're interested.

Ellie
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Uzes is technically in the Gard.
But, a good place if you want to see the Camargue, Arles
and the Pont du Gard.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Make that Le Hameau, a really lovely place to stay--and flat, for the most part. It's quite a small property but very Provençal in feel and decor. The one problem is the need to drive for meals other than breakfast; there's nothing within walking distance, and the closest spot, St-Paul-de-Vence, has steep streets.

I agree that Nice would be a very good choice. It's certainly flat and has many, many options for lodgings and meals--not to mention those sweet little blue chairs facing the sea along the Promenade des Anglais.

Check on senior rates at the Mercure Promenade des Anglais--you might be able to snag an ocean-view room. You have to ask for the special rate; it's not shown on the web site as far as I can see.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:36 PM

If you decide on Nice then have a think about an apartment. We spent a week there last year in an apartment we rented through Nice Pebbles http://www.nicepebbles.com/ the Old Town area is nice, close to the Cours Selaya markets and the beach.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:55 AM

St Remy de Provence is the best, and we always rent this house: paradiseinprovence.com
Have fun!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 07:23 AM

Yes, Nice would make a perfect complement to inland Provence. Flat central city, lots to see, especially art museums, interesting Belle Epoque architecture, interesting cuisine.

Ordinarily I'd say drop the car in Nice. It has very good public transportation options up and down the Riviera by bus and train and boat. But for your mother and after a week in Menerbes maybe keep the car and find a hotel that has parking.

Two special sights in this area: if you like modern art (and architecture), the Fondation Maeght just outside St. Paul de Vence: http://www.fondation-maeght.com/inde...the-foundation. And the Villa Ephrussi-Rothschild, just east of Nice on Cap Ferrat: www.villa-ephrussi.com/en/home. This latter has a lovely garden with great views (on 2 sides!) of the Med.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed in St Paul de Vence and met Boris Ysen at the Maeght.
He was there for a special Russian exhibition.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM

To visit Chateau de Chillon, I’m looking forward to going one way by boat and one way by foot. Is there an order you recommend?>

My French middle-aged friends often stay in Gites - self-catering accommodations often in quiet small villages.