Where to go in Europe??!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (a couple in our late 50's) live in Ireland and only started travelling in 2001 when we went to the U.S. We have gone there every year (September for three weeks) since. We book a flight and then hire a car and "do our own thing". We're not super rich so we do it on a shoestring, but it doesn't take from the enjoyoyment of the vacation! This year we've decided to go to Europe and do more or less the same thing. Where to we start? Can someone give us an itenerary for a three week period in Europe? Obviously this is a very "vague" agenda but all suggestions appreciated!!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Most folks start seeing Europe by doing London, Paris and Rome (or Venice). They all have a lot to offer no matter what your interests are. From there your can decide what's next.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Well, I am not most folks and prefer to stay out of big cities. After 24 trips to Europe[including Ireland] I often suggest to others that a great first trip starts in Munich and includes Salzburg, Bavaria, the Dolomites of north Italy, and either Venice or Lake Como to round out the trip. That combines culture in 3 countries with the finest natural splendor in Europe.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I'm with Bob. However, I have seen most of the big cities of Europe early in my travels and now prefer the smaller towns and villages.

We usually fly into Frankfurt and begin our trip with a couple of days on the Mosel River, Rhine River or somewhere within a 2 hour drive of the airport due to jetlag.

From there we will head down into the southern part of Germany. Berchtesgaden is a beautiful town and the surrounding area has much to offer. If you want to venture down into Austria, Salzburg and the lakes/towns in the Salzkammergut are absolutely stunning (St.Gilgen and St. Wolfgang on Wolfgangsee and Hallstatt on Hallstattersee being my favorite).

You can add the Tirol region of Austria as well as the Dolomites and Lake Como as Bob suggested.

I guess it would help if you could do a little research first and maybe come back with some ideas that we could give you feedback on. Much depends on whether you want to spend your time in large cities or small, whether you are interested in outdoor activities or maybe museums, castles, etc.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM

<i>Can someone give us an itenerary for a three week period in Europe? Obviously this is a very &quot;vague&quot; agenda but all suggestions appreciated!!!!</i>

Normally people put the donkey in front of the cart. Why don't you give us a milligram of a hint about what you like to do?

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
rex

Spain.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Big cities like London, Paris and Rome are great but expensive,
and not everyone's cup of tea.

What are you interested in - small towns?, beaches,? museums?, Southern Europe?. mountains? seeig one country or more?.history? food? organized tours?
Europe is a big place with many. many different options .
A good start would be to look at a few book (on different countries) at your local library
and decide what appeals to you.
Go from there.