Where to go from Frankfurt??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our way to Egypt we are stopping over in Germany, landing in Frankfurt, for a 3 day mini pre vacation! My husband and I are not big city folks, love exploring wine and food, and would love to find a scenic spot to relax--ideally within range of Frankfurt. I've checked out the Freiburg/Staufen area, but would love to hear ideas from those more familiar with possibilities. We've traveled in Germany around Munich, around the Danube, Rothenburg ob der Tauber and on the Rhine/Mosel on a river cruise which of course was limiting but enjoyable. We'd like to utilize train travel rather than car, but we could do that as well. We really enjoy visiting agricultural/farms also, as that is what we do at home. This is at the end of April. Thank you for any suggestions!
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 12:17 PM

There are many places in easy reach of Frankfurt besides Mainz, Bingen and the Rhine river valley.
Heidelberg, Speyer or the Odenwald/ Spessart region, for example. With Michelstadt being the half-timber equivalent of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
Geo-Bergstrasse-Odenwald Nature Park ? geology, nature and culture up close
Michelstadt. Germany?s most original town hall
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 12:36 PM

How are you counting "days"?

Is this like this = 2 nights?
day 1 = arrival day, partial day
day 2 = full day
day 3 = departure day, partially usable or none at all

Or "full" days like this = 4 nights?
arrival day = partial day
"full" day 1
"full" day 2
"full" day 3
departure day = partial or non usable day

If it is the latter, depending on what time you are arriving and departing, you can zip on ICE to Nürnberg / Dresden on arrival. You can also zip to Berlin. The Alsace region in France is also within easy reach. Alsace is a superb wine/food region with gorgeous landscape and villages.

If your case is the former, then you would need to stay close to Frankfurt.
Stating your stays in terms of nights eliminates ambiguity.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Trains - book discounted long-distance tickets yourself at www.bahn.de/en- early bird gets the worm. Local trains often fall withiin the validity of Lander Cards where you can ride regional trains and city transports all day for around 30-35 euros- buy those at stations not online. www.seat61.com has a smorgasbord to tips on booking own discounted fares; general train info and where to go - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.

Alsce as greg says may fulfill your farm interests - rent a car maybe or take local buses or excursions along Alsace Wine Road, dotted by cute wine towns and vineyards.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

It was ambiguous, but now our flight reservation is confirmed so it is the 4 night version with departure day non usable. I'm really liking the Alsace suggestion, which is an area I've been wanting to go. Any suggestions there? Thank you!
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Take train via Strasbourg to Frankfurt - then train to Colmar make that your base (or rent car in airport and drive)- Colmar is a cute wine town and north or town there is a string of cute little wine towns. Sans car use excursions from Colmar. don't miss Strasbourg - one of nicest cities in Europe IMO.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, we've visited Strasbourg and Colmar on our Rhine river cruise, but as you know those are quick stops without the ability to explore. I'm also looking at the area around Michelstadt just to reduce travel time. A car is beginning to sound worthwhile. And I haven't given up on Berlin with its Egyptian museum with Nefertiti, not to mention all of the historical significance there. You have all given ideas that I'm researching more fully, so much to see...but reduced travel time is appealing.

Any other suggestions? They are most appreciated to help me pinpoint choices.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Berlin is awesome but with just two days (first one used up getting there - fly there from Frankfurt as train takes 4-5 hours or so I think - you will not have time to fully enjoy Berlin - a large city whose eclectic sites are far removed from each other.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 04:41 PM

I'm also looking at the area around Michelstadt just to reduce travel time. A car is beginning to sound worthwhile.
It's less than an hour by direct train from Frankfurt to Michelstadt. This area is delightful. The Neckar River Valley, Heidelberg, and the "Bergstraße" wine towns would all be fair game for a few days' time. The train will cover you nicely if that's your preference.
The Bergstrasse
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 09:36 AM

Yes the Castle Road east of Heidelberg (nice large town base - one of few large German cities not decimated in WW2 - and take Castle Road bus or trains or drive up and down the valley.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

I've looked up the Bergstrasse website you sent which has great possibilities, all those wineries and so little time!, and looked up websites for Castle Rd. I've also checked out 3 travel guides from the library and interestingly there's not much info except for Heidelberg. Do you know of any specific smaller location besides Heidelberg that might be a good place to base? Thank you for the wonderful suggestions!
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 02:29 PM

Ladenburg is just minutes from Heidelberg. Bad Wimpfen is a Neckar River town well upstream from Heidelberg) and is impressive too.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 11:43 AM

Being close to Heidelberg could be neat - Ladenburg - go into city to see castle or shop but be in rural area to base. Heidelberg has enough to take up a whole day - Philosopher's Walk going uphill opposite the town center is famous - Heidelberg has a large university and some of its renown philosophers like Neitzsche I believe used to walk up to ponder life, etc.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I've been trying to research that area online, just a bit tedious to find information and compare all of the small towns, but that sounds like a great plan to stay around the Heidelberg area and explore the wine and castle areas which are different than what we experienced on the Rhine. It would be easier with a car, but perhaps we can locate some tours or a guide with that specific idea in mind. Thank you all!
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 08:05 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=cast...hrome&ie=UTF-8

May find some info here on castles and towns close to Heidelberg.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

That has proven most useful, just spent a few hours online checking different resources listed. Thank you.