Where to go for last day in dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one day left in Sarlat and Dordogne region and can’t decide where to go. My thoughts were 1, carennac and Martel 2.Collognes la Rouge and Turenne 3. Rocamadour 4 Marqueysac 5 Brantome.
We’ ve been to Roques Gayeac, Peche Merle, Limeuil, Les Miranda’s. Eyrignac gardens, St Cirq Lapoppie, Figerac, Domme and canoed on Dordogne.
Does anyone have suggestions for our last day? It’s a tough decision for us.
thanks
Carol
Old May 9th, 2022, 07:08 AM

I'd suggest you combine Carennac and Turenne and, if you're very ambitious, Martel. They are all different and all beautiful.

Rocamadour is unique. If you decide to go there, I"d suggest making it your first stop so you get to see it when it's not mobbed (the first time I went I hated it because it reminded me of the subway --I live in NYC. The second time it was much, much less crowded, and I enjoyed it much more). Make sure you stop at L'Hospitalet, a very short distance away, for the iconic distance view of the village cut into the cliffs.

You could get to Rocamadour early and then go on to Carennac and Martel; Turenne might be a bit of a reach.

I'm glad you got to Pech Merle. Amazing place.
Old May 11th, 2022, 04:19 PM

Yo CD,
Martel has a great selection of doorknobs (speaking as an avid shutterbug here) while Carennac has a killer view from its bridge. Rocamadour is popular and would likely be the most crowded on your list. Collonges is a great place to grab lunch amid all that red brickage. Marqueysac might feature 'strolling players' as it has in the past.
Bit of a drive but...Belcastel has one of France's best meal-splurge restaurants plus its own tiny, picturesque vibe.

I am done. The end.
Old May 12th, 2022, 02:03 PM

We spent some nights in Rocamadour and loved it, it was not crowded (in the Fall). If you have not been there, I'd put that at top of my list.
Old May 12th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Marqueysac is my vote. Fantastic and lots of room to rom around. Better than Eryignac IMO.
Old May 13th, 2022, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you have never seen Rocamadour, it needs to be seen whether it is crowded or not (like Mont Saint Michel in its own way). And if you can go to the neaby Gouffre de Padirac the same day, it will be perfect. (reservations required)
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Approaching Rocamadour
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:16 PM

Le Vieux Pont.....in Belcastel is in the Aveyron, unless there is a Belcastel in the Dordogne.
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:34 PM

If you're interested, the cave paintings in this area can be fascinating. Those at Lascaux are the most well known but there are a lot of other sites near Sarlat as well. Lascaux is popular and crowded. Less well known sites may be crowded or closed so it would pay to check ahead of time.
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:43 PM

WVD, c'est correcte it is in the Aveyron. That's what I meant by 'bit of a drive.'
I am done. The daytrip
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:41 PM
mjs

I'm with Kerouac with Rocamandour and Gouffre de Padirac. Surprised you have not done the cave paintings but it must not be of interest to you.
Old May 14th, 2022, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by mjs
Surprised you have not done the cave paintings but it must not be of interest to you.
The OP states that she has visited Pech Merle, which is a stunning place. Perhaps that was enough.

I loved Belcastel, but it's a bit of a shlep, considering that the OP is working with only one free day here. And there's so much to see that's much closer. Without guidance about the OP's preferences, the fact that she's visited so many of the area's most beautiful towns suggests that that may be a priority; hence my suggestion of Turenne, Carennac, and Martel, or a combination of one or two of these with Rocamadour.

PS: I keep saying she, but of course CD may well be a man!

Last edited by frenchaucoeur; May 14th, 2022 at 06:39 AM.