Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go after 1 week in Italy with young kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our 4 & 7 yr. old kids are going to Tuscany and staying in a villa for 1 week at the beginning of August. We will be staying with 3 other familes. We would like to then go somewhere with our own family that would be relatively easy. We spent 3 weeks in Italy for our honeymoon and are thinking that it would be nice to see something new (plus it will be hot & crowded in August in Italy - not that it won't be in other parts of Europe.) Any ideas of where we could go? We've been researching London, and it's a strong possibility. However, I've been reading a lot of posts on the boards and am a bit frightened about how expensive it is. Munich was also a possibility but it seems that it is easier & cheaper to get to London from Florence. Any thoughts about London or ideas about other places? Thanks -
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:08 PM

Did you ever think of adding a couple of days in Croatia ?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I'm thinking a small city or rural area might be more relaxing than a big city, if you have small kids.

+ How about the English seaside, or the northern French coast?

+ How about the Alps? Luzern, maybe.

+ Or the Bavarian Forest. Or the Black forest.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Croatia may be more complicated than what we're looking for right now. I could be wrong about that though. I've heard it's absolutely wonderful!
capxxx - good suggestion re: small city or rural area. I'm doing some research tonight.
thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Hi, why not fly over to Malta - small island below Sicilly. Malta has plenty to offer - lots of history, clean beaches, english is widely spoken, safe, friendly and the prices are cheap compared with the rest of Europe. Be sure to stay on the small island of gozo for a truely relaxing holiday .. it't magic .. I can't wait to return myself.. Cheers
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:17 AM

August with kids--head to the hills.
More specifically, the Alps. Take your choice---Bavaria, Dolomites, Luzern. The kids would love it and you can cool off.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:38 AM

If you like England, why not fly to London and rent a cottage, say, west of Heathrow? (Wiltshire is my favourite place but there are the Cotswolds, Devon, etc, etc)

We've rented cottages numerous times and it was great each time.

Larger, more commercial operations often have pools, if that is important......
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:11 AM

Croatia probably a lot less complicated than all the way to London. I think a short flight to Split and a one hour ferry to Hvar could be easy. But a very different feel than a big city for sure. I would ask what mood you wanted - city, more country? How busy will you be first week, do you want to tour or zone out?

If it were me I would stay closer - either seaside or mountain. I guess seaside would be super crowded at that time. I will second - head for the hills.