Where to go: Croatia or Southern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a "swimming holiday" in June 2005 and the only plans we have are 10-12 days in Greece. The question is: where should we go, Sothern Italy or Croatia? We want to swim and eat great food. We also don't have an enormous budget. If we did italy, i'm thinking Sardinia, Corsica and the Amalfi. Need help!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:45 PM
cmt

Corsica is part of France (as of 1789).
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM

For great food, I would suggest Italy rather than Croatia.

For a more limited budget, I would suggest Sicily and the Aeolian Islands rather than the Amalfi Coast. I don't know Sardinia, but put AP3680 into the search box for suggestions from someone who was there recently.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:03 AM

June will be before the huge tourist season in Croatia which is good. Otherwise, it is extremely crowded on the beaches. If you do Croatia, go south and explore islands.

Also, don't count on Croatia to be cheap. The prices are starting to skyrocket and the service isn't.

Sardinia is wonderful and doesn't have to be too expensive. We rented a house in the north for 1 week and then, another house in the south for the following week. It was very reasonable and the beaches were fabulous.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this! I think we're going with Croatia and i'm having fun researching at the moment! I can't wait!
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Is it swimming weather in Croatia in late May?
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 03:12 AM

foodiern, most likely yes, especially in southern Dalmatia (Dubrovnik, Hvar, Korcula etc.) with sea temperature probably about 20?C (70?F).
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 07:48 PM

I spent 4 days in Pula, Croatia the third week in May, 2004 and yes, people were swimming. I found prices to be fine compared to Switzerland and Germany. Have a great time.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 04:44 PM

topping- I was considering Croatia or Croatia & Italy, but it has gotten a lot of attention in travel sections recently, including the Sunday Times, and in shopping I have seen prices climbing. Italy in late May and June... well the airfare goes up with each week. I have been searching this forum, and guide books asa well trying to figure out: If I choose Southern Italy, could I get around locally by foot if I put something together myself and opted NOT to rent & drive a car myself? Not sure about availability or expense of hiring cabs. Thanks for any input.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 07:03 AM

If by Southern Italy you mean Sicily, I think you would find it a little difficult to do it on foot -- it's a large island. Train service is a little sketchy -- there are only a few main lines along the northern and eastern coasts and, I believe, a line from Palermo to Agrigento -- but buses go almost anywhere, even if the schedules are not always the most convenient. I was there last May -- only on the eastern side of the island -- and traveled almost everywhere by bus. Taxis are not cheap: it was 18 Euros for a 6 km ride to where I was staying for a few days outside Siracusa.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 07:13 AM

Well you could do Southeastern Italy and combine it with a ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik and get the best of two worlds.
We loved staying in Polignano di Mare at the tGrotta Palazzese Hotel where you get fantastic food and great atmosphere both at once.
http://www.grottapalazzese.it