Where to get a car to drive in Tuscany?

Old May 11th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to get a car to drive in Tuscany?

My husband and I will spend our first two nights in Rome (and we have someone picking us up at the airport). We do not want to drive in Rome but wish to drive through the Tuscany region and stay 4 days (our accommodations are near Siena and near Monepulcciano). Where should we pick up a car? Go by train outside of Rome/pick up in Rome and drive out. We will be returning to Rome the last two nights of our trip.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:02 PM

I'm looking at a similar itinerary for Sept/Oct. My gut feeling is to rent the car at the Rome airport, and returning it to the Rome airport. Our friends will transport us to/from Rome/airport.

I also will be interested in alternatives, i.e. train to Tuscany and renting/return car then train back to Rome?

Who else has done this, and what do you recommend?

Old May 11th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Train to Chiusi and pick up there. On the way back drop in Orvieto.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:45 PM

I picked up a rental car at the Rome airport after spending time in Rome. We took a shuttle bus to the airport and it was very easy to find our way out and onto the autostrada. Driving in Tuscany was very enjoyable and we had no trouble finding our way from town to town. We didn't drop off the car in Rome, but I'm sure it would be easy to get back to the city from the airport.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM

We will be picking up and dropping off our car in Chiusi in a few weeks.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:49 PM

When we undertook a similar trip we picked up the car at the airport, drove north along the coast to Tarquinia and then went inland. We went to Rome only at the end of the trip, and dropped off the car in Rome as soon as we could. Tarquinia is worth a visit for its Etruscan museum and tombs.
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:36 AM

I would have to agree pick up the car in Chiusi. Picking up at the airport makes life easy but does involve extra surcharges.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, picking up somewhere near Chiusi was how I was leaning. I am feeling so blessed--not only all of your great responses but also I have connected with a friend of my sister's in Rome (a native) who is very excited to show us his Rome (restaurants where the Romans eat, best places, etc.) I'm almost jealous of myself!! I will share when I return.
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:09 AM

I'm just curious as to why it would be easier to pick up the rental car in Chiusi. That would mean carting luggage on/off the train, to/from the rental car agent, especially for the return trip if you have made some purchases.

Since you have transportation to/from Rome airport with a friend, why would you want to take the train to get the rental car and go thru the hassles? I would think the convenience would outweigh whatever surcharge there would be, unless of course the surcharge was astronomical.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:20 AM

We just returned from Italy. We rented from AutoEurope and picked up our car in Rome at Europcar's Vatican location. It was an easy drive out of the city from there to the autostrada and we saved the airport surcharge and the train trip. We arrived in Montepulciano area in about two hours.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Judy, I'm confused...you rented from AutoEurope and then picked the car up from Europcar????

We are staying at the Hotel Portogeshi and renting from Auto Europe - picking up at the Vatican location. Does Europcar come into play somehow.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:07 AM

We took the train from Rome to Florence with an easy transfer to the Autoeurope office across the river. This made for easy access to the Florence Siena autostrada. I will say returning the car was far more difficult than I haad ever imagined. There were mnay one way streets including the one we needed to access and we spent a good one hour simply trying to do that again and again. The recommendations for pick up and drop off in perhaps easier locations to navigate might be the best ones. If you do return your car in Florence make certain to ask the rental agaency for directions back to the office from the autostrada. It will save you the moments of wishing you could simply abandon the car by the roadside and walk to the train station.
BTW: your accomodations are in my favorite part of Tuscany! Have a wonderful time. And, having been in ROme I'd say forget the idea of renting in Rome and driving from there. The train ride to Florence is quick and comfortable.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Bigdog, AutoEurope is a consolidator...we dealt with them but they arranged for our rental from Europcar. We've been happy with Europcar in the past but actually received a better rate going through AutoEurope. I think in Chiusi, Autoeurope uses Avis...we considered that option but couldn't make it to Chiusi before the office closed on Saturday when we needed the car (I was already in Rome but my husband was arriving Saturday)
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM

We rented a car at the Hertz location in Rome in an underground parking garage near the Galleria Borghese, and drove it to Lucca and Pisa while based in Siena. Left it at the Hertz office in Siena, also could have dropped it off in Florence.
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:12 PM

All your opions for renting a car appear to begin with getting to the train station in Rome. You can rent a car there and be on your way. No more stevedoring. Food and guide books stacked on the back seat.

There are perhaps a dozen agencies right inside the depot.

You might want to compare two train tickets against one day car rental (small size) before you decide.