Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Picking up car at Fiumicino Airport-Advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending three nights in Rome, then it's off to southern Tuscany and Siena. Last stop before flying out of Rome is Orvieto. We will be driving from Orvieto the morning of our 1:30pm flight from Rome. My thought was to go to the airport to pick up the car on our way out of rome, then drop it back off at the airport before our flight. Does this make sense. Had thought about training to Orvieto to pick up car then drop off at same with return trip via train to rome then off to airport. Help!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

Others may disagree, but frankly I thought picking up a car near Termini in Rome and following their clear directions for driving out of the city was really very easy. I'm not sure if doing it again, I'd trek out to the airport instead of just picking up a car on the "edge" of Rome with good arteries leaving the city.
And returning a car to the Rome airport was really easy -- easier than many US airports, so I see no reason not to do that.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM

I like your plan. I would rent the car in downtown Rome and head to straight to Tuscany and not going back to the airport to rent the car. You will have no problem finding your way outside Rome to the Autoroute to Tuscany.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM

Hi gina1003,

I would likely take the train to a town in Tuscany and pick the car up there as you will already be in downtown Rome and will waste time getting to the Airport. Many people opt for Chiusi.

Good luck with your plans

Taking the train back from Orvieto to Rome would be a bit of a pain as you would then need to get from downtown to the Airport. I would think you would be cutting it close for a 1:30pm flight. I think it would be more convenient to drop the car off at the airport on your way back. There are usually no drop fees within Italy.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. I'm thinking the termini pickup since we're already in the city works best and then drop off after drive in from Orvieto directly to Fiumicino airport. Price is the same for this pick up as picking up from the airport. Thanks again. Booking it!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Need one more thing...Thrifty has the best prices by 100euro. Any problems with them in Italy? Thanks again.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM

I would check out the rates with autoeurope.com. They claim to beat any and all other rates. They have an 800 toll free number to call and a great reputation among fodorites.