Search

Where to fly out of--- Zurich or Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
mdo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to fly out of--- Zurich or Paris?

We're going to Italy next spring and flying on mileage tix. We can fly into Rome, but our only option is to fly out of either Zurich or Paris. We are 2 adults, 2 kids (6-year-old twins).

We had planned to spend most of our time in Tuscany and Italian Riviera (going slow, kid pace). We've added a few days to make our way up to either Zurich or Paris---any thoughts on which city we should choose? Any suggestions for things to do on the way up to either?

(In general, we're doing small villages/towns and avoiding the cities this trip. My husband and I have been to Europe many times, first time for the kiddos.)

Thanks for your tips!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Zurich would be much closer and easier. And, you could stay in Luzern with easy train access to the Zurich airport in about 1:20. The kids would like Luzern.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Son reacently flew out of Zurich about the same time as I flew out of ParisCDG
I will now avoid CDG at all costs my last experince was horrible. Son loved Zurich and he is picky!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM

My vote: Zürich by a landslide.

The airport for Zürich is located in the suburb of Kloten. It is easily reached by train from anywhere in Switzerland. In some cases EC trains go through the airport station. Even if you have to change trains in Zürich or elsewhere, getting there is easy.

The airport itself is much smaller than Charles de Gaulle and much easier to get where you are going.

CDG has always struck me as a hodge podge of confusion.

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM

CDG IS a hodgepodge of confusion! Be prepared for long walks, crowds, and being shuttled on and off tarmacs to board certain flights. Also the best part, at least for Air France passengers, when you're trying to rush to get to board your plane you may be picked out of line for a security search. This is, of course, after you've already passed through the main security area! So many people got detained that our shuttle bus was delayed.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Zurich is a great airport! Easy clean and efficient.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM

A choice between clean and efficient (Zurich) vs. crazy and stressful CDG (Paris), I'd say Zurich wins clearly!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM

I'd fly out of Timbuktu before I'd fly out of CDG again! We just flew through there last week and it was disorganized and extremely confusing. Even with a map, we almost went to the wrong terminal. The profusion of terminals, buses and trains is awful to navigate--save yourself some grey hairs and go out of Zurich!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM

I just flew out of Zurich last week. I was very impressed with the airport. And as others have said it's very easy to get to by train from anywhere in Switzerland. We were staying in Luzurn and it took just over an hour to get to the airport. Luzurn is a nice town for the last day or two of your vacation. I personally don't have a problem with CDG but I'd still vote for Zurich.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Swiss have a reputation for cleanliness, efficiency, & organization... deservedly so! Not to mention the good sense to run the trains into the train station at their airports.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM

To top it all off, I've heard that the Swiss train operators will transfer your luggage directly to the airline.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Zurich for sure - CDG is a living nightmare and with kids, i cant even imagine. They might get scarred for life.

Plus, it would be a much longer trip to Paris and i think you would lose time travelling.

You could also stop at the Lakes (como/maggiore) on your way to zurich and Luzern. Luzern is a great choice as others have mentioned.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
mdo
Original Poster

thanks everyone!
I've been gone and away from the computer for a week, but it's a resounding vote for Zurich, so that's what we're doing.

I'm definitely going to look into the Luzern. Thanks for the tip. Any suggestions for places to stay there? Also, would love to hear suggestions for a place near the Zurich airport, as we have an early a.m. flight.
thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Another vote for Zurich

A little bit off-topic... there is a toy museum in Zurich, off the main street, often overlooked by travelers. Would be interesting for boys and girls.