Search

Where to find flat iron in London or Dublin & Wimbledon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to find flat iron in London or Dublin & Wimbledon

Hey all-

I've been reading and decided I want to wait until I get to Europe to buy a flat iron and hair dryer. Our first stop is London and we'll be there less than 24 hrs then on to Dublin. So if someone could point me in the right direction on where to buy a cheap but decent ($20-30 US) hair flat iron in London or Dublin that would be much appreciated!! I would love if someone could give a name and location so we won't be wasting our time trying to find one!!! In London we are flying to Gatwick then going into Victoria Station, then probably heading to Wimbledon to watch the Championships, so anything around those places. Also, if anyone has any tips for first timers to Wimbledon that would help too : ) Thanks!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM

There is a large chamist/pharmacy chain in England called Boots. I think there is a branch at Victoria Station, and there is very likely one at Gatwick as well (although it will probably be in the departure hall). You will find hairdryers and straighteners in Boots.

There is a branch of Boots the Chemists in the Centre Court Shopping Centre on Queens Road in Wimbledon.

If you know where you are staying, then google Boots Chemists and the location and hey presto, up come the addresses of the stores!

Other stores which sell them are Woolworths, Argos, Superdrug, you can find the locations of the stores on their websites. Also large department stores like Selfridges and Debenhams which you'll find on Oxford Street.

There is a current thread about Wimbledon which may be of interest to you...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35016161

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM

Boots have a small selection of flat irons (called [hair] straightners here) for £10 to £50 range. Their website www.boots.com has a bigger range (60), but average stores stock far fewer. If you can get to John Lewis department store on Oxford St, you can touch and see for yourself. WEbsite gives you an aidea of what's available, though local store stock may differ http://tinyurl.com/2gmojn
Argos is a catalogue shop and you can't see or handle the goods before buying, though they have a vast range and prices are very keen. Look at their range online at http://tinyurl.com/2y23nb
They have branches in New Oxford St (near Tottenham Court Rd) and Victoria (Vauxhall Bridge Rd) - details on their website.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:06 AM

I wondered why you wanted a flat-iron and was going to suggest an antique shop.
When my grandma died we found several in her house.
She didn't approve of new-fangled washing appliances like washing machines and electric irons.
She heated her trusty flat-irons on the stove.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Josser, I had to laugh at your post. My husband thought the same thing the other day when I was talking about flat irons. He thought the clothes one too and not the hair one. Trying to get him into this century....

txwahoo - no advice but have a great time!