Where to Buy Marionettes in Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for recommended stores, makers of wooden marionettes in Prague. Wish to have handmade, not mass-made... we're talkin' CRAFT and ART.

Any other must-buys in Prague... or Kutna Hora?

Thank you.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM

Go to one of the marionette theaters - in Cz loutkové divadlo (sing) or Loutková divadla (pl) - or write to them ahead of time, starting with these:

www.loutkovedivadlo.cz/ (email: [email protected])

http://kovacek.borovice.cz (email: [email protected])

They are professionals, they will know what you want.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM

The Rici Marionette Factory in Prague is amazing.

I was in Prague for a month last summer taking a photography course. I did one of my project on this tiny marionette shop. They have about 10 employees and everything is handmade. Only one employee could speak English but they were all friendly and proud of their work.

The workshop is near Vysehrad and a short walk from the tram (I think I took #17). The puppets are also sold in some of the more upscale shops in Prague (look for the tag) and you can but them on line.

Here is their website:
http://www.marionettesrici.com/index2en.htm

You can see some of my photos here:

http://carywolinsky2547.sitewelder.c...%20Marionettes

http://flickr.com/photos/lindahallph...610016/detail/

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM

There is a shop that has a nice mix of handmade and factory Marionettes. Facing the Tyn Church, take the narrow street on the left. The shop is on the left where the street opens into the small square behind the church. There will be a good coffee shop on your right.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM

We found cute affordable marionettes at a little old shop under the Charles Bridge on the Castle-side of the river. Maybe not "genuine", theater-recommended stuff, but still very unique. The staff spoke English and were extremely helpful. They even put on a little show for us when we were having trouble deciding between a couple different figures. My beer waiter guy is now hanging in my "Europe Room" at home.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:54 PM

I can't add to what the others have said about wooden marionettes in Prague,but in Kutna Hora there is an Atrs and crafts place in the old water tank at the top of the town ,It is a big stone structure and hard to miss,mainly paintings but some hand made pottery and knitwear.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:20 AM

Garnets are a must buy in Prague.
I bought a beautiful necklace, earrings, bracelet, ring set.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:52 AM

I think I know the shop that Basingstroke is writing about. It should be right next to Dr. Botanicus (my favourite shop in Prague). This shop has beautiful puppets.

Do go into Dr. Botanicus and buy some bitter orange cologne and bath oil! Fabulous!!!!!!!

Thin
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Basingstroke2 - found the shop and they had BEAUTIFUL marionettes - just what I was looking for. They were pricey, but all the other marionette shops and vendors pretty much carried all the same stuff, so I was not surprised to pay a premium for something handcrafted. My jester wasn't complete when I went into the shop (found it on my last night in Prague), but the shop owner finished it for me just before closing.

I had purchased another marionette in Kutna Hora; it was different than the usual, but still not quite what I'd had in mind.

Thanks for the recommendations. Had a great trip and brought back some truly special souvenirs.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Narnya
I'm happy that you were able to find what you were looking for. That shop is in a different league than the others.