Where to buy Birkenstocks in Germany?

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:02 AM
amanda

Where to buy Birkenstocks in Germany?

I would like to shop for birkenstocks on my trip to Germany this summer. I will be in Koblenz for a morning and then onto the Rhine. Can anyone recommend any stores or outlets for Birkenstocks in this area?
Thanks!

Jun 12th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Carol

I read a post yesterday which said there was a Birkenstock factory in Bad Honnef, which is outside of Bonn.

Jun 12th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Betsy

Found the price at my local Costco to be the same as the price in the department stores in Germany, about $30. They don't have them in stock year round at Costco, though.
The only US Birkenstock outlet is in Gilroy CA at the outlet mall, if that's convenient for you.

Jun 12th, 2001, 06:20 PM

to the top

Jun 13th, 2001, 03:43 AM
leo

Amanda,
Are you looking for sandels or shoes? Costco only carries the sandels (seasonally). I bought shoe Birks (Boston-style) at a regular shoe store store in Kiel,Germany in 1994. They were not in the window, but I asked and they carried them. They were considered orthopedic and not very fashionable. The cost was about 60% of the price in the US ($45). Since then they have become more common, and I have picked up several pairs at Nordstrom Rack (in the mens shoes) for about the same price. They are the best shoes for me and cured by crippling heel splints.

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Ann

Amanda, haven't been there for awhile, so you should call and check for hours, etc. once in Germany, but the Birkenstock factory store in Bad Honnef used to be open M-F 9-6:30 and Saturdays 9-1:00. Prices were quite a bit cheaper than on the economy. To get to the factory (just south of Koln): From Autobahn 3, exit at Bad Honnef/Linz. At the first intersection, take a left towards Bad Honnef. Once in the town, follow the signs for "Rheinfaehre" which takes you past the walkplatz and tothe second stop light. Turn right, and at the branch in the road, bear left for 2-3 blocks. Factory will be on the right. Address is Lohfelder Strasse #22, phone 0224-7770. Good hunting!