Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are some beautiful mountain towns in Tirol, Austria?

Jun 12th, 2001, 01:33 AM
Paige

Is anyone familiar with this area? I'm looking for quaint towns in the mountains with beautiful scenery and hiking possibilities, preferably within 2-3 hours by train of Munich. Thanks!!

Jun 12th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Paige

Anyone?

Jun 12th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Paulo

Kitzbühel is my preferred Austrian Tyrol city, specially in winter, but very nice and laid back also in summer, with several hiking possibilities. It may be reached from Munich in 2½ hours by train (with at one or more changes along the way).
Paulo

Jun 12th, 2001, 08:09 AM
wes fowler

Paige,
It seems that every town and village in the Tyrol has its own website with photos, info on hotels, dining, hiking, etc. You can access them by going to www.tiscover.com/town name Take a look at www.tiscover.com/kitzbuehel for example.

Jun 12th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Steph

Eight years ago, I went to Westendorf with American Music Abroad (I was 15) and it was one of the most beautiful, charming places we visited in the 2 1/2 week European tour. I especially enjoyed the traditional Tirolean (sp?) folk festival that we attended. You can access information on Westendorf at tiscover.com/westendorf

Steph

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:41 AM
SharonM

Badgastein is beautiful in the winter too! It's situated in a valley and though it's been quite awhile since I was there, I found it very charming.

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:43 AM
Paige

Thanks, everyone! I'm always looking for good weekend trips from Munich and cool places to hike!

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Ann

Paige, the area around St. Johann is just north of Kitzbuhel and in the "Wilder Kaiser" mountain range, and near enough to Salzburg to make it an easy day of sightseeing. I mention this to you because if you enjoy hiking, you might enjoy cross-country skiing, and this area, while not as well-known as the area around Seefeld, had a really fun program when I was skiing there, similar to volksmarches and complete with medals. First, of course, the trails are perfectly groomed and run along side streams, across meadows and through forests, as well as behind farm barns where you can spy on cows in their stalls for the winter. The trails are marked on a little pocket map you pick up anywhere in the various villages connected by these trails, and rated as easy, moderate or difficult, just like downhill trails. The distances are also posted. Then, as you ski, you will come upon a small box on a post and inside a stamp and inkpad, which you use to emboss on your trail map to show you skied there. At the end of your vacation, take your map into the area tourist bureau and, according to how many kilometers you've skied, you'll be "awarded" a bronze, silver or gold pin. Do the entire route (tough!) and you get the "Kaiser medallion." Although the real award has to be the scenery, the camaraderie (you'll meet skiers from all over Europe and on the trails, no one ever fails to speak), and the fun of skiing from your hotel to a different village, sightseeing, having lunch, shopping, and skiing home a different route. Any of the small villages around St. Johann will work, although we always stayed in Erpfendorf or Kirchdorf, both of which are small but have active nightlife and good gasthauses as well as resort-type hotels. Give it a try!