Reload this Page >

Where to buy authentic lace in Brugge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:33 AM
gh

Will be in Brugge in August and would likt to buy some handmade lace. Where is the best place to look for it? Any idea on prices? Is the lace center worth a visit?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Experienced

We found excellent selection, value, and service at "Lace Symphony" at Wollestrat 4, 8000 Brugge; a Mr. J. Van Pamele is the owner-operator, a veritable encyclopedia of information about lace. To find this street, stand in the main square, facing the town hall and its clock tower. It's the street on the left, just behind the belfry. Excellent English spoken.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Diane

Visited two lace museums last year. One is in the center of town and the other is about a 15-minute walk from the center. The one outside the center has a school where you can watch people working on their lace projects -- this was very interesting. Across from the museum/school is a lace store. You can get documentation there that the lace you're buying was made in Belgium.<BR><BR>I bought scissors there shaped like a bird -- a crane, I think. Made beautiful gifts and were easy to transport. Of course, now you would have to check them in your luggage.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
aj

Three years ago I purchased a small piece of antique lace in a picture frame. It was documented and a little bit on the expensive side but very beautiful and I love it to this day. I wish that I could have purchased a larger piece. The antique lace is so very intricate and delicate. There are several stores in Brugge that sell this antique lace. Sorry I can't remember the name of the store.