Filip Martin Chocolates - Brussels

Old Dec 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filip Martin Chocolates - Brussels

While traveling in October in Brussels we bought a small supply of Filip Martin chocolates as gifts. Well, they were met with utter delight and requests for how to get more. I've searched sites and can't find any mention of them, even on the "official tourist website" section on chocolate. They must be a small business, but they were right on the square in Brussels.
Anyone have any ideas on how to find them? I know I can find other chocolates, but these were really good, I got the Manekin Pis dark and milk chocolate boys, so they were also cute.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 04:52 AM

Hey Challiman,

this is a difficult one. It seems that the Filip Martin shops are owned by 2 Bulgarian brothers who work with Asian shop-keepers.
They sell the famous marks (like Côte d'Or) but next to that cholocate they buy from different factories. The shopkeepers say that it is all Belgian chocolate but that is not for sure.
So it is very hard to know where your chocolates come from. But I'm sure you will love all real Belgian chocolate!

Here's a article about these shops, but it is in Dutch...
http://www.agripress.be/start/artikel/293838/nl
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

I guess I should have researched chocolate before we left home! We just picked out a place that had lots of customers and a nice display and bought the small gifts. I guess I'll just get another brand, one that I can order or get in the US. I don't read or speak Dutch, so can't read the article you linked, but I know there are many websites on this subject.
Maybe the recipients got lucky and the chocolate was really good, or maybe they're easily satisfied. Whatever, I guess we'll just have to go back to Belgium and find some more of the wonderful chocolates.
Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Interesting. I had never heard of Filip Martin chocolates (I'm Belgian) so I did a little research. There are numerous articles on this 'brand' but all are negative and stress the fact that the chocolates they sell is of inferior quality and it is doubtful whether these chocolates are of Belgian origin. Anyway, they're very bad publicity for our excellent Belgian chocolates. But apparently there is a market for cheap chocolate. They aim at tourists, mainly at Chinese tourists because the chocolates they sell are a lot cheaper than the good brands like Neuhaus, Godiva, Pierre Marcolini, etc.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM

I have to chime in to say that my experience of the excellence of Belgian chocolate is that the freshness is key to its deliciousness. It is my favorite chocolate on the planet -- but I never buy it outside Belgium.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Well, that is very interesting information, and surprising since the chocolates were enjoyed so much. Just think how much more they would have enjoyed the apparently much better quality brands. I'm really sorry we happened to pick that shop and that we didn't do our homework ahead of time. What we bought didn't stand out as being cheaper than other shops, we weren't looking for the cheapest at all. We just had dinner in the square and walked around and happened by Filip Martin Chocolates.
It really is a shame they are producing an inferior product. We never even ate any of it ourselves.

Thanks for all the information and next time I'll know better.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Challiman, the articles say that the Filip Martin employees are pretty agressive in trying to tempt people to visit their shops. Don't know if that's true but it's not something the reknown brands would do. Simply because of the fact that they don't need that. Chocoholics always know where to find them.
Anyway, the receivers liked the chocolates, which is what counts.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Myriam, I guess we sort of lucked out. We were there midweek and while the square was busy it wasn't loaded with tourists. We were there two different days, never saw any kind of aggressiveness of any of the shopkeepers. We wandered in and out of a few and were greeted and asked if they could help us, and thanked for visiting when we left. Nothing even remotely aggressive. I wonder if they particularly see tour groups coming and go into action?
But you are right, the recipients thought they were good, and "it is the thought that counts." Hope we can go back and get some of the better chocolates next year.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM

My relatives happened upon the Filip Martin shop close to the Grand Place, and the clerk was a young Chinese woman. She was aggressive according to them as apparently there was some sort of special deal that if one bought 3 boxes it worked out lots cheaper than buying one box. They did not want three boxes yet the clerk tried to push them to buy. They ended up purchasing one box although it was clear to them the clerk was not pleased. That’s interesting the chocolates they sell are perhaps not Belgian. Luckily my relatives bought a couple of boxes of Leonidas chocolates later on.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I always get them at the airport when I fly back so I don't have to worry about carrying them around all day. The airport shops have a huge variety and quality brands like Neuhaus or Godiva, and usually one or two very good priced special offers. The must sell tons there, so I doubt that any box has a long shelf live. You can also get the chocolates by the piece.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Wow, two replies after all this time! eldon, that is what someone WAY upthread said about these chocolates. We had no problems like that, and they were well received, but I for sure will select another brand next time. Cowboy, we weren't flying, we had taken the train from Amsterdam, then on to Paris after Belgium. I think the train station also had them, but we were so busy finding our platform that we didn't stop to shop.
Thanks for these responses. I do intend to go again.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Sorry for the late post on this, but I will be in Brussels next month - my first stop of 5 different countries over a month. I want to ship chocolates home, but not sure if the shops can do the shipping, or would I have to use DHL? Also, since freshness is key for fine Belgian chocolates, is it even worth shipping home?? THANKS!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

colleen, be sure to read the thread, as there were some pretty negative comments about the chocolates I bought. WE thought they were good, and those I gave them thought so, too, but apparently there are many questions about them. I didn't research before we went, no idea why except that we were so focused on the WWII stuff. Anyway, I can't answer your particular question, except to say enjoy your time there, try a lot of the chocolate shops to find what you like best.

Maybe someone will come along and answer your particular question. Good luck.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Hi Challiman, MyriamC and others
Filip Martin Chocolaterie may not be a brand name in chocolates, but I find there Gold Boxes Delicious.
However the old fat lady calling here self The Manager is out of proportion.
Our group 77 people entered the shop with a total sale of chocolates summing up to between €2.000 and €3.500. The managers attitude was rude towards our guests and signaled that she would be better off if we had chosen another place to bring the group.
That there were no benefits for the tourleader and driver is to live with, but we will not in the future bring groups to Filip Martin Chocolaterie.
In former times we where serviced by a Asian “look a like” staff. She was kind and professional towards costumers and officials.
If somebody could recommend a chocolate shop in the same area that are use to dealing with groups - this would be a welcome info for our next visit.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM

Chocolatelovers,

You travel thousands of miles to end up buying not the very best Belgian chocolate.
Sad.

I recommend you to buy only renowned brands like Godiva, Neuhaus, Marcolini, Leonidas.
For a newcomer I'd advise first to buy a small paper bag of say six chocolates to taste right there on the spot or with a cup of coffee or walking around.
If satisfied and only then, you buy a box.

At Brussels airport we could buy the big brands cheaper than in Brussels town. Turnover is big, freshness guaranteed.

Last month I got very excited by "the chocolate line" of chocolatier Dominique Persoone (only in Brugge and Antwerpen)

There are numerous other good chocolatemakers in Belgium, but the formentioned are well known to the average consumer and a safe bet for the novice and the aficionado.

Interesting link:
http://www.expatica.com/nl/leisure/a...er-threat.html