Brussels Experts Sought--Place Sablon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in antiques markets. Is the market at the Place Sablon very good? If I incorporate Brussels into my itinerary for next summer, it will largely be for that and the antiques stores in that neighborhood. Is it worth it? (I'm not interested in very high or very low end. I love brocante--old paintings especially.) Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM

The market in the Sablon is definitely worth it... I was just up there this past weekend and found some small treasures (I'm an antiquing addict - which my home attests to ). There were quite a few stalls with paintings, by the way - some quite lovely.

I always go on Saturday mornings... it's a bit less crowded.

Patricia

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patricia! Any other must-sees for Brussels?

I'm also hoping BTilke will see this post.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM

The Sablon and the network of surrounding streets are wonderful places to poke around. Some beautiful things. If you are planning to be in Brussels in June, then try to go to an auction at the Horta auction house (www.horta.be). You will find some very good buys there. Swan around the site to see articles from past and upcoming auctions. I've seen things at the high end Sablon shops that were bought at Horta for less than half their retail store price (as would be expected).
There is a very nice antique furniture store on the chaussee de Waterloo in about the 300 block. Run by a very friendly guy. I'll get the name and address next time I'm there. His prices are good, although I don't think he carries many paintings. Some small furniture items though.
Start checking the ads in the Bulletin magazine as well (you can see some of them on the www.xpats.com site). You might luck into some good sales there.
The Sablon market is deservedly known as the best in town, but it's also the most expensive. Attached to the Jolly Hotel (on the Sablon) is a very fine arts gallery. On rue de Laine, near the Sablon, is a veyr high end art gallery specializing in paintings from the Tervuren school.
I'm afraid I know more about where to find antique furniture and jewelry than about paintings.
I'm sure Antwerp has some fine galleries as well, hopefully Myriam or Tulips will tell you about those. The museum in Tournai is renowned for its fine pottery/porcelain collection and there are some good antiques shops around there, too.
Have you read the Lady and the Unicorn novel yet? A good chunk of it takes place in and around the Sablon.
My favorite cafe in the Sablon is Au Vieux St. Martin (for drinks only, it's a bit pricey for meals). Many antiques dealers hang out there.
Happy hunting!

PBProvence, were you able to haggle over the prices of your new treasures? The antiques dealers in the Sablon market don't seem the bargaining type. Or maybe I'm just not a skilled negotiator.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, BTilke. I may very well make it to Brussels next June for Brocante and beer!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Cimbrone...

If you like Art Nouveau, one of my favorites is the Comic Book Museum (Comic Books were a Belgium "invention&quotand the Horta House and Museum.

There are also some funky antique places on the rue Blaes just down from the Sablon within easy walking distance.
I've occassionally found something interesting in those.

As BTilke says, in the "What's On" section of the Bulletin magazine (which comes out every Thursday) has a full listing of walking tours and events - there's usually one in every hotel room... otherwise you can pick it up at any news stand. It also lists any special antiques fairs going on for the week.

BTilke...

I'm a haggler from way back. Actually I'm still buying collectibles from dealers I first met at the Sablon in 1964-65, when I was still in high school there. One of my purchases this past weekend was a sterling silver perfume funnel from 1720, which I collect... the dealer gave me 50 € off without a fight.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM

PBProvence, good for you! I will have to try a little harder next time.

I would like to join a group for a tour of the Art Nouveau Solvay building on the Ave. Louise. Unfortunately, I don't think it's open to individual visitors.

Also, I look forward to the day--someday--when the Palais Soclet opens to the public. Although the heirs are strongly fighting the efforts to open it, so perhaps it will remain off limits to the public.
http://homepage.mac.com/simon_aughton/belgium/stoclet/

re the Bulletin, make sure you check the classifieds. In summer, there are many private sales, including some private antiques sales, that are advertised in the classifieds. And there is one very famous Belgian antiques dealer who conducts his business from his castle and has open showrooms a few times a year--that's usually announced in the Bulletin. I've never gone, sad to say.

Finally, flick through a copy of Eventail magazine. Lots of stuff in there about antiques and art. It's the Belgian society magazine. Au Vieux St. Martin usually has a copy for its customers to peruse (they keep all kinds of magazines in a revolving kiosk in the back of the restaurant...feel free to grab a few to look at while you're there).

Try to pay a visit to the Van Buren museum out in Uccle if you can fit it in. Can be difficult as it has very limited opening hours.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM

By the way, this may help you in your search...it's the exhibitors' list for the Eurantica antiques fair held in Brussels. Clicking on individual exhibitor names will give you their contact details and info about the types of antiques they carry.
http://www.eurantica.be/euranticabru...exhibitors.htm
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:41 AM

BTilke..

The Solvay house is fabulous. I had a chance to get a tour back in the mid-'80s.
Another gorgeous Horta house is off the avenue Louise (I can't remember the name of the street) and was completely restored in 1985-86. It was then leased to the Mexican Embassy and a group of us got a tour of the building just after the renovation. It was even more amazing than the Solvay house.

The Horta designed building that is no longer there thanks to an arsonist...we watched it burn from the roof of our office building in 1966 or 67.. was the Innovation department store on the rue Neuve. THAT was sad to watch.

Patricia
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Pierre marcolini chocolate shop not far from Sablon. Also close by is a great quiche and pie shop where they sell so many kinds of sweet and savory baked goods (can't recall the name, sorry, but it's light and airy, can see the quiches from outside).

I second Horta house--easy to get on a tram. Also I love Musees des Beaux-Arts.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Pierre Marcolina used to make great handmade chocolates. Now they're expensive, "designed" to death, made in a factory and are, quite frankly, awful.
I'd opt iinstead for chocolates from Wittimer (in the Sablon) or Neuhaus (also in the Sablon on the circle).

Patricia
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Must say Marcolini is not cheap, but they make one of the most sensual and unusual combination of flavours. Especially their seasonal specials. So much better than mass-manufactured Neuhaus, which seems to have debased to the same degree as Godiva.

Agree with Wittamer, I also like Leonidis. Shame I haven't seen Maison du chocolat in Brussels...