Where to base in Piedmont, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As part of a trip to Italy this coming October, we will be spending 5 nights in the Piedmont region. I'm thinking of two bases, one base for two nights, one base for three. Where would you suggest are the best towns to base ourselves. Obviously we are interested in wine tasting and good food. We will have a car and heading to Cinque Terre from Piedmont. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 11:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Laureico,

We spent four glorious nights in Piemonte in 2018. We stayed at perhaps the best place we have been on any of our trips, Rocche Costamagna in La Morra. It also has a winery on the premises. On a clear day, you see vineyards and the Alps. It still gets rave reviews. There are only four rooms. Try to get Room#4 with best balcony view. Read Chapters Ten - Fifteen of below trip report link below. It tells everything we did in Piemonte. October is white truffle season, so you are in luck. Check out our restaurants where we dined. All good, but Bovio was spectacular. Go on a white truffle hunt. A little cheesy, but fun. It's all in the below report. I would also consider the charming town of Alba. We visited on the day of the truffle hunt. You will LOVE Piemonte, my new favorite area of Italy!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/italy-2018/

View to La Morra from a couple of miles away.

View from Rocche Costamagna

Wine on the patio

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks maitaitom but they do not have availability for my dates. I hope I am not going to have a problem booking decent places to stay.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 11:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Put Alba in search on Fodor's. I know that before we left some people had good recommendations there. October is a popular time in Piemonte. White truffles are part of the draw. Good luck.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 01:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved our time in Alba. It is a perfect base for exploring the surrounding wine villages. Lovely, easy drives, lunches. We stayed at Villa Favorita on a hill above town. J
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

I just sent a message to Villa La Favorita to see if they have any availability for my dates. Fingers crossed, it looks lovely.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 02:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The website indicates there are new owners but everything looks the same as when we were there. Rooms are large, very quiet, and have a/c. A few miles away you will find a boutique winery “ Pietro Rinaldi” in Madonna di Como where we went for a tasting, bought some wine and enjoyed spending time with the owners.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrvlr. I am hoping that they have availability but just in case, I have booked a classic double at Hotel Relais Montemarino. No payment until there and is cancellable up until three days before. At least we have something that looks nice enough. I'll keep looking and also hope I hear from Villa Favorita. I knew I should have booked ages ago but it seemed like I had so much time. At least the rest of the trip is booked, including a rental car.

https://www.simplebooking.it/ibe/hot...-10-17&coupon=