Where Should We Go?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
tn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where Should We Go?

I am looking for some help…

We are planning our summer trip next year. The plan is only half way developed, and hoping you all can help fill in the second half.

Our goal on this trip is mostly to relax (which is in contrast to what I normally do on these trips, but my family is excited to be setting the pace). We will spend two weeks, we don’t want to be in cities but we want to be someplace where there are recreational opportunities like hiking, boating, or just going to a beach.

We will travel to Zurich, Switzerland and from there spend a week or so in Mürren. This flight is booked. We have been here before, so we know it meets all of our requirements.

The question is week two. This is where I need some input. We have talked about the following ideas:

Another location in Switzerland, perhaps around Lake Lacarno.
French Alps
Tuscany
Lake District in Austria
Amalfi Coast area

So, I know that is a broad list. We have not been to any of these areas and are interested in getting to all of them some day. But what would be best for this kind of trip – and maybe I am missing some other great spot?

Oh, and I haven’t booked the return flight yet, so don’t take into account our departure airport.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Tuscany or the Amalfi Coast as a change from the Alpine scenery.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd go a bit north and look at Bodensee (Lake Constance) it should hit the spot.

If interested in the French Alps consider the Jura (from Mount Blanc leading to the start of the Vosges.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Part of the decision in when you will be going and what you want to do. The Amalfi Coast is gorgeous - but the beaches are not good (by US standard - rocks or pebbles, narrow, often in town with boats pulled up etc - nothing like the wide pure white sand beaches with nothing except life guards). And it's fairly far from Switz.

There are places on the French coast that have better beaches and while crowded in summer - won't leave you on an SRO bus to get anywhere - as does the AC in July and August. (Having grown up on LI I am almost always disappointed by beaches in Europe.)

It would help to know who "we" are and exactly what you are looking for.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:45 AM

Not much in the way of big expanses of beach but we recently enjoyed Cinque Terre.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM

A few years ago we spent 2 weeks in Switzerland: a week in Wengen, 4-5 days in Celerina and 2-3 days in Lugano. We did not need to travel a lot from A to B, but the 3 areas were all differetn and all gorgeous.

I am researching Amalfi Coast for a future trip...when are you going? Apparently summer is very crowded there. Just something else to think about. We had no problems with crowds anywhere in Switzerland.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Head to the Basque region in France. Close to the Pyrénées (hiking/outdoor stuff) and great sandy beaches (and obviously boating).