Reload this Page >

Where should we go??

Search

Where should we go??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 11:29 PM
S&C

Where should we go??

My wife and I travelled to Portugal earlier this year and stayed for about two weeks in the Lisbon area and day tripped our way to various other cities in that part of the country. We had a great time and found the Portuguese people to be fantastic and Portugal to be a very reasonably priced place to visit.<BR><BR>Now on to the question at hand.<BR>Where to go next? We got alot of helpful input for our last trip from people on this site so here we go again. <BR><BR>We prefer medium price hotels to hostels. Public transport to car rentals. <BR>Off season is better than high season.<BR>Trip length of about three weeks from Canada.<BR>Where should we go next?

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 11:52 PM
gotan

The library and do some research! Really though, you have NO thoughts on this subject at all??? No life-long passion to see someplace in particular? <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 12:18 AM
S&C

Of course we have thoughts smart*ss.<BR>We just want fresh ideas from other people and do not feel the need to lead the discussion on any particular direction. So thank you for your lack of input.<BR>Someone out there must have more to say than gotan.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

If you liked the authenticity of Portugal--as I do--then you will very likely enjoy Slovenia. I have not been yet, but will solve that in 2 weeks. Do some homework and you will see why.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Maira

What about the Normandy Region in France? April-May is shoulder season, cheaper, less crowds, great time of the year. You could start with 3-4 days in Paris, some people have opted for rental car, others have done the train. Either way, it seems to be a great trip option. <BR><BR>BOB, Slovenia? That sounds wonderful? Where are flying into?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:15 PM
xxx

My husband and I travel to Holland, Belgium and Provence last March-April for about 3 weeks.<BR><BR>In Holland, we stay in Amsterdam and took day trip via train or bus to Haarlem, Marken, Volendam, Edam and Hague. <BR><BR>In Belgium, Brugge was our base, again we took day trip by train to Antwerp and Brussels. <BR><BR>Next we travel to Provence. This time we split our stay between Arles and Avignon, and took train or bus throughout the region (Nimes, Orange, Vaison la Romaine, Les Baux and Carcassone).<BR><BR>Then we train to Paris and took a day trip to Amboise. <BR><BR>We had used Rick Steve's book to plan this trip and found it was very informative. The hotel & restaurant recommendations were all pretty accurate. You can find good description in this book, so I won't bore you with details of every city.<BR><BR>We also use Eurail pass for the train travels and was able to find the train schedule online. However as we were traveling off season, there were limited bus in France. We found that while visiting Chenoceau from Amboise, there was only one bus running off season (2 buses/day during peak), which only gives us 50 minutes to see the castle and the surrounding area. <BR><BR>Everyone was very friendly. I couldn't believe how helpful the bus drivers in Holland were. <BR><BR>In Holland and Belgium, everyone spoke english. However in Provence less or few people spoke english, we got around with hand gestures and my limited French. <BR><BR>I would also recommend Barcelona. We had spend about 3 weeks there the previous year in the fall. You can probably do the trip in 2 weeks but we decided to travel leisurely and spend a lot of time just exploring Barcelona. We also took daytrips by train or bus to different parts of Costa Brava (Sitges, Cadagues, Figures, Girona and Montserrat).<BR><BR>Hope this is helpful.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Linda

You have been to one of the places I want to go. From what I know of Portugal, the good values and the people; I would recommend Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic or Croatia. They all are good values, have friendly people, and nice scenery.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 12:09 AM
George Steed

Please consider this as a polite suggestion. What is your occupation or avocation or such interest? Do some corresponding with similar groups in other countries. Meetings and activities can be arranged. I spent yesterday at an AI meeting here in Lodz. I met locals, and guests from Ukraine and Syria. I also toured the new school buildings. School hotel..from $40/dbl. Good luck, GSteed