Where should we go?

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 02:30 PM
nicole

Where should we go?

Hi! My husband and I have are going to Paris for three weeks in September. We would like to do some travelling around, but after reading Fodors France 2001 guide, are completely overwhelmed with the options we have. Our initial plan was to spend three or four days in Paris, take the train the Chartres and rent a car and drive through Provence. But now, with all the extra information Normandy, The Pyranees, the French Alps, Champagnes... it all sounds so good. The weather should be nice wherever we go, so now all we need is help making up our minds. We are both in our latish twenties, Canadian and into art, music, gourmet cuisine and people watching. We are on a budget, but not a really tight one, and are open to pretty much anything. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Chris Philhower

Gourmet cuisine? Lyon (Paul Bocuse's 3, maybe 4 at that time, bistros -- not TOO expensive). Lyon also has many museums.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Christina

I don't really know, I think people kind of have to make these gut decisions themselves based on reading the guidebooks and picking what speaks to you the most. My one suggestion is why drive from Chartres to Provence? YOu can take the train from Paris by TGV down to Avignon or Marseilles in a few hours and avoid driving through France. Then rent a car down there and drive around PRovence. I also like the idea of the Burgundy region and Lyon. I haven't been to Normandy so can't comment on it. The Pyranees and Alps are more for outdoorsy resort (ALps, anyway) areas, I wouldn't go there unless you really want to go hiking, etc. I don't think you'll find urban culture, art, music,etc in those small towns and resort areas. I see you have 3 weeks which is quite a bit of time. If you don't want to spend any more than a few days in Paris, I might do both the Burgundy/Lyon thing and then go south to Avignon/Provence. An alternative would be to do the entire southern coastal area, east to west or the reverse. Three weeks is quite a bit of time.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:54 PM
John

Hi Nicole,

Unfortunately one needs to make choices.

If you intend to go back, a whirlwind over an extended area can be helpful to determine where you want to spend more time.

If you do not intend to go back, you might want to consider a more concentrated geographical area for a deeper experience.

Have a great trip.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Anne

Wow, three weeks, you are so lucky! We only have six days in Paris. I found Rick Steve's book on paris good especially if also reading other books with more info on history, etc. But you have to find a book that "speaks" to you. I happen to like that particular one. Sorry, I don't know about other places.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:12 PM
janis

3 or 4 days in Paris is really not enough. If you have 3 weeks you can spend at least 6 full days in Paris (a week would be better) then take the TGV to Provence as the other post said. pick up your rental car there and wander through the glorious countryside in a big loop -- try to stay at least 3 days in any one place so you actually "see" things not just pass by if you know what I mean. Work your way back to Provence - drop off the rental car and take the train back to Paris to fly home.

If you can get a good deal on a one way car rental you could drive back to Paris and drop off the car at the airport. But usually in France 1-way rentals are very expensive.