Old Dec 1st, 2010, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should we base ourselves for four days in Provence ..July 2011

We will be staying in Provence July 2011 for 4-5 days
Where should we base ourselves for the easiest way to see the region. No car
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM

I agree with Jill about the car. Without one, your best bet is Avignon - a large city.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 07:57 AM

Same here. The best thing about Provence is wandering around to see the landscape and small towns and such. I can't imagine visiting Provence without a car, but if that's your choice, second best idea is to be in a city where there will be lots of things to keep you busy.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Ok... Now all I need is the courage to hire and drive a car in Provence
I am a scardy cat My husband is more than capable but I panic a bit
However if it is THE BEST WAY I imagine we can try it
SO.... If we hire a car which place would be the best to stay remembering we need to catch the train later on to Bruges
Unless of course we take the car to Bruge
Now it is getting exciting
jj
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:55 AM

If you do hire a car - and it is almost a necessity if you want to see Provence - St. Remy is a good place to stay.
It is a charming town, not too far from the Avignon TGV station and accessible to many of the small towns and villages you will want to visit. My first trip to Provence was with my sisters and we didn't find driving difficult at all. We took the TGV to Avignon from Paris, rented the car at the train station, spent a week in two places in Provence (St Remy and Le Baux), returned the car to the Avignon TGV station and trained back to Paris. Very easy.

I would definitely train to Bruges - I'm not sure if you will have to go through Paris or not. Someone can help with that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:08 AM

Agree that St Remy would be a good location for you.

We took a train from France to Bruges also. We took the TGV directly to CDG airport (not into central Paris where you would have to change train stations), changed trains, and then to Brussels Midi station & changed trains to Bruges.

The TGV goes from the Avignon TGV station to CDG. We took it from Rennes to CDG.

Do you have my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary? I've e-mailed it to around 2,000 people on Fodors & aol. If you want a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM

Yes, you should rent a car! There's nothing to be afraid of if you both know how to drive and read a map. Provence is probably one of the more laid-back places to drive in Europe (now everyone, don't jump down my throat about that comment...I'm just thinking that of all the places I've driven in Europe, Provence was probably one of the easiest).

My parents have been to Provence numerous times and their favorite base is St. Remy. (I personally have stayed in a rental house in Venasque, which is a tiny village that would not be ideal for a first-time visitor.) Gordes is also spectacular.

If you want to avoid city driving, St. Remy would probably be better than Avignon, but you'd still have easy access to the TGV (you could pick up and drop off the car in Avignon).
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM

I totally concur on the driving. My sister, dad and I rented a house in Provence (Aix) for a month several years ago. We rented a car and all drove. My father (who was probably 75 at the time) had no problem driving! It was (as mentioned above) a laid back place to drive around. You can do it! One thing I loved was that there are all these very, very simple traffic circles (not like the ones in DC) but simple, little circles and we would just drive around slowly till we were comfortable that we were going the right way. We loved being right outside of Aix because in the summer they have a wonderful music festival. But all of these places (Les Baux - gorgous, St Remy - gorgous, Roussillon - gorgous) are all easily accessible. Plus .. I think you are there during lavendar season! Susan
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much
I am glad that I have started my trip and reserach this early
So much has changed already and I am sure so much more will also change
Thank you thank you
jj
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree also that St Remy is a good choice to base and that a car is essential to visit the perche villages and other small places but make sure it is a small car because the streets are narrow and parking will be hard to find. I was alone one year and based myself in Villebeuve -lez-Avignon, across the bridge to Avignon.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM

My family and I spent 5 nights in Provence recently without a car. We based in Arles and loved it! We took the train down from Paris straight to Arles and spent a few days just exploring this really cool city, there's definitely lots to do, plus we were there in the summer so took advantage of the hotel pool. Since you'll be there in July that's also a possible option, and another thing you might be interested in doing is seeing a Provençal bullfight in the ancient Roman area. (It's not like the Spanish bullfights where the bulls are killed, it's a group of young men who try to get a ribbon [called the cocard, I think] from the bull's horns.) I thought it was so much fun! And really brilliant to see such a spectacle in the same seats the Romans sat in approximately 2,000 years ago.

Then one day we took the train to Avignon, which we liked fine but we were REALLY glad to go "home" to Arles at the end of the day. Obviously there are many people who love Avignon but for us Arles just had so much more charm and the Provençal ambience we were searching for. We can't recommend it highly enough. Also our hotel was lovely. We stayed at the Hotel d'Arlatan, right in the center of town.

Then on another, very memorable day we took a day trip of the area with Taxi du Gard Provençal, which was excellent! Here's their website: http://www.taxidugardprovencal.com/

Our driver Sylvain (also the owner) took us to the Pont du Gard, a winery (Chateau de Campuget), Uzès and Nîmes. It was a very nice way to see the countryside without the hassle of a car. Also I realize for some people having a car is the opposite of a hassle, it is freedom, but for my husband especially I'm sure he wouldn't have been able to relax being the driver or trying to navigate and park. And when he is anxious I am anxious. So for us this was definitely the way to go! Anyway if you're interested in our experience that day if you do a search of my name you'll find a short trip report entitled "Great Experience with Taxi du Gard Provençal."

Also in looking at my report I realize I never commented about lovely little Uzès, as TPAYT requested! I will have to look over my photos and souvenirs and see if I can trace back over my thoughts, but I just remember thinking it was such a beautiful spot, with wonderful architecture and a really nice Provencal square, warm, friendly people and such a laid-back atmosphere.

Anyway whatever you choose, bon voyage! I really loved Provence and look forward to returning to that area of France soon. (Although for now I'm happy to content myself with a solo trip to Paris [and Lisbon] this February. I think I can make do with that for now.)
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM

Good recommendation, LunaBella - I had completely forgotten about Arles. I stayed there on my first trip to Provence while studying in Montpellier in college, also without a car. It is a lovely town with fantastic Roman ruins. We took the train there and took a day trip to Les Baux by bus. The suggestion of a private driver is a good one, if you really prefer not to rent a car.