Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I take my Mom for her 60th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom is turning 60th this September and I would love to take her on holiday. I was thinking maybe the greek islands or turkey?

Anyone have any recommendations? We have about 2 weeks to travel. We are looking for a mix of culture, sight seeing and relaxation (read beach).

I just want to take her on a vacation she wont forget.

Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM

is this your mother's first trip to Europe?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM

2 weeks ... hmmm. Greece Greece Greece. Here's a plan!

Get car @ airport -- drive modern hiway to
NAFPLIO -- THE most beautiful town in GReece (3 nites/2 days)
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh
(stunning ruins, beaches minutes away).

Return car to airport -- get "bargain" Aegean Air tix to
SANTORINI -- THE most famous VIEW in Greece (3 nights/2.5 days)
http://www.imagesofgreece.co.uk/santorini1.html

Your "Ferry Fix"! a lovely 2.5 hr ride on deck of big ferry to
NAXOS -- The best BEACHES in the Cyclades (4 nights 3.5 days)
(also shops, museums, towers, amazing isle to drive around)
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

Ferry or Plane back to the birthplace of Western Civ --
ATHENS - The best ANCIENT LANDMARKS in Greece (3 nites/2 days)
http://picasaweb.google.com/mitsapinch/Athens#
(also concerts, cafes, sunset dining with Acropolis view)
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's nice of you, but have you asked her where she'd like to go?
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:38 AM
ira

Hi JR,

>Where should I take my Mom for her 60th? <

Paris.

>I just want to take her on a vacation she wont forget. <

Paris

>culture, sight seeing and relaxation (read beach).<

Paris
(google "Paris Plage")

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Jacey, of course you are going to get replies on Fodor saying Paris, no matter what you specified... this Forum (bless its heart) is slanted heavily toward France, England and Italy. Not even 5% of its threads concern Greece. And many of the Greece experiences cited on this board are from Cruises, or group tours, good as they may be. If you want to get beyond the cliches of Mykonos-Santorini-Only -- and discuss the possibilities of Greece and the Greek Isles with people who go there frequently (and who have even moved there) your best bet is Trip Advisor Greece Forum. Not that I don't love Paris (I do) but you asked about Greece. It is totally wonderful in September, balmy days and warm seas to dip in. The destinations I listed will be comfortably "peopled" and lively, but not crowded.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Another thought is Croatia. Dubrovnik, Split (the town built inside Diocletian's palace), the beautiful Istrian peninsula, lots of lovely islands and beaches.

You haven't said whether you'd be open to driving. Travelerjan has an excellent plan, but, if you're flying overnight, I cringe at the suggestion of driving right after arriving. Better fly on to Santorini and then work your way back.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I would do either Istanbul-Bodrum or Athens-Delphi-Rhodes/Santorini/Mykonos/Corfu (pick one or two)

I love Athens, but Istanbul is really something to see because it is so exotic.

Paris is the greatest city in the world, Ira, but it is NOT a beach destination. You can't compare Paris Plage to Santorini.
You can't compare the Paris sky (although beautiful in its own way) to the beautiful blue sky of of Rhodes. The color can't even be described.

We can all help you further if you give us some more feedback, sweetie darling.

Thin
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM

If my daughter was doing this for me, I'm afraid I would definitely want input as to location. I am a Paris fanatic so she and I would be on the same page with that location. I've also done Croatia with a tour group, and I was blown away by the natural beauty and the people and the suffering the country has experienced; I would do a repeat trip in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM

here are similar ideas depending on how many days or weeks in Turkey and if arriving in and departing Istanbul;

1. Istanbul - Cappadocia - Antalya - Fethiye ( Lycian coast ) - Pamukkale - Ephesus/Selcuk - Istanbul

or the reverse...

2. Istanbul - Ephesus/Selcuk - Aegean coast - Pamukkale - Fethiye - Lycian coastline - Antalya - Cappadocia -

Istanbul

The Turkey Travel planner has some good suggestions

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/itin/index.html

This is really a tough questions because 2 or 3 weeks travel in Turkey just the tip of the iceberg to see some of the great areas. My guess would be about 4 days each to see some of the major sites but of course you can spend many more.

Certainly the places of Ephesus ( Selcuk ) and Cappadocia are not to be missed and for some beach time check out the sights along the historical Lycian Way..between Antalya and Fethiye. Beautiful blue seas, great beaches and stunning natural scenery.

You certainly cannot see all of Turkey within the time frames of 2 weeks but a glimspes of the wonderful areas.

Or just pick one area and leisurely enjoy the area..which month are you planning to travel in..Best time to visit Turkey is the months of April, May, early June, Sept and October..
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM

sorry did not see Sept...Sept is a great time in Turkey...warm days cooler nights ( rather than the summer months )
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Answer to Mimar -- About driving to Nafplio --- I understand & appreciate your concern for someone driving after an international flight. Here were my considerations: the poster cannot be over 40, maybe nearer to 30, thus fairly energetic. I myself am past retirement age and yet upon arriving after an overnight flight my adrenalin surge is HUGE ... (the crash doesn't come for 6 or 7 hours). The drive from Airport to Nafplio is just a bit over 2 hours... on Greece's MOST modern 4 lane divided highway... and if one arrives on a morning flight (9-noon) there is little traffic on this highway ... Furthermore, the airport cafes are well supplied with GREEK coffee which is a stunning caffeine jolt that has been known to bring the dead back to life & go dancing!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM

How about a 5 star hotel with beautiful beach.
http://booking.bigloveturkey.com/Cit...rateViewSimple
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM

If you are planning an unforgettable Birthday Travel for your mom and have two weeks and do not want to rush,
I would suggest Istanbul 4 days, Cappadocia 4 Days, a nice costal area for 5 or 6 days. Early morning hot air ballooning in Cappadocia as cream on the cake, I promise you both can not forget for years to come.....

Good luck and happy travelling,

Murat
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

For some reason, my email alerts weren't working and I as not aware I had any replies to my post.

I did infact ask my mom where she wanted to go and we are now going to Eygpt for 2 weeks in Oct.

Thank you all for your advice.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM

Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM

Are you going with a group tour or on your own? Egypt is interesting and exotic. You can find the mix of sightseeing (tombs, temples, museums)and relaxation (Nile cruise) there. I hope you both have a great time.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM

A wonderful choice. Make sure Abu Simbal (Simbel) is on your itinerary.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When I turn 60 in just a couple of years, I would be so thrilled that my daughter wanted to take me on a vacation, I would go anywhere she wanted. Sounds like you found a place you both want to see.

Have a great time in Egypt.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM

Jacey, glad to hear that you picked a destination your Mom will enjoy.

About Alerts -- to my knowledge, Fodor does not issue alerts to its threads... you just have to keep checking back. if anybody knows how I can get Fodor alerts to threads I have posted on, please tell! Inquiring Minds Want to Know.