Where should I go in France?

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should I go in France?

I would be grateful for recommendations from those who have traveled to Paris, Alsace, Champagne and/or Edinburg. Any/all suggestions welcomed – even changing the destinations.
I am traveling to Edinburg for work and will be in meetings there for three days (late October) after which I would like to make the most of the pleasure part of my trip (one week, late October, early November).
First, my plan was to tour Ireland and Scotland but with the weather conditions thought Paris would offer more indoors activities. (That is where I can get an easy connection flight from my US city.) Looking further into the trip I found the train will take me to Champagne and then Alsace pretty quickly/inexpensively.
About me: late twenties, love to explore new things and experience the destination as locals do, estate sales and antiques, architecture, coffee shops, bookstores, good food, the outdoors. However, when traveling alone I am in my hotel by dark so nightlife recommendations are not necessary.
Paris seems a bit overwhelming to me and I would like to find out the best things to do there other than the typical tourist destinations (although the Eiffel Tower is an exception). Walking around in Alsace and going to the only place actual Champagne comes from seem enjoyable to me.
I do not want to overload you with information at this time and will be happy to answer any questions you may have about me, the trip, etc.
Questions:
1. How long to I need to experience Edinburg
2. What should I see in Edinburg in the evening after work and during the day when I first get there
3. Are there any day trips (without renting a car) that I should look into
4. What are the best non-tourist things to do/see in Paris
5. I know the possibilities are endless in Paris, but what do you suggest as a reasonable amount of time to experience the city
6. What is the best area outside of Paris that I get to by train
7. Have you been to Alsace, Lorraine and/or Champagne? If so, what are the highlights here? Which is a ‘must-see’ and do you think I should skip any of these?
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:02 AM

I've only been to Edinburgh once and enjoyed it very much. I'm far more familiar with Paris so will pretty much confine my comments to Paris and France.

FIrst of all, get yourself some guidebooks and do some internet research. Start with the "Destinations" tab at the top of this page. It never ceases to amaze me how people planning to visit a city want to stay away from "touristy" places. Why go to Paris if you fail to visit its amazing and considerable treasures. You will waste precious time and money trying to avoid "touisty" things like the Louvre, Notre Dame, Ste.-Chapelle, Luxembourg Gardens, Musee D'Orsay for starters. Tourists go there for a reason.

In Paris, the best non-tourist thing to do, IMHO, is to walk all over the city and along the Seine, taking in the ambiance and culture and stopping occasionally for cafe or wine and to people-watch.

Something you should consider - at the time you will be there, Paris is dark by 5PM and Edinburgh even earlier. You should not be concerned about being in your hotel by dark as both cities are safe.

With one week for the "pleasure" part of your trip I would spend a couple of days in Edinburgh and then fly to Paris. Stay for 5 days and take a day trip to Reims to experience Champagne country. I don't think you have time for Alsace. While 5 days is not nearly enough time for Paris, you can get a feel for the city in that amount of time.

Please do a little research yourself and then come back with a sense of what you want to do. The experienced travelers on this board can be very helpful. Also use the "search the forum" section above for help in answering your questions. Have fun planning.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:55 AM

I'd look at a guide (including Destination guide here) to at least get a long list of possibilities for Paris

You could base yourself in Paris and do a day trip to Champagne area. I went to Reims for a day trip, visited cathedral, had lunch, walked over to Taitinger champagne cellar (housed under ruins of a monestary, in roman quarries). Then cab'ed back to train station and home.

Paris is great walking city. I have visited in early november. Nice since weather is still reasonable and tourist crowds small. Depending on when you arrive, Beaujolais Nouveau could be on. Some restos do specials around that theme

Paris Walks would be a good intro to some of the neighbourhoods. English, about 2 hrs long, not too expensive. Last trip I combined walks with lunch and browsing in area where tours ended.

You also have Segway and Fat Bike tours of the city. Many people here like them.

You might like walk along Seine, near Notre Dame. The bouquinistes are traidtional book/magazine/paper sellers. Shakespeare and Co is also near here. On the Left Bank there are some nice upscale book shops as well as large 'volume'stores (near St Michel)

Antiques...could go to Village St Paul (right bank area with sops), Louvre des Antiquaires (3 story bldg acorss from Louvre with high end stuff) or maybe even a market like Vanves or Clignancourt.

Off-beat stuff might include Catacombs or a sewer tour.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Stay in Paris and take day trips. Chartres and Fontainebleau immediately come to mind.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623401029366/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57623316531799
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM

You have posted two practically identical posts and have received replies on both. Click on your user name to be sure you see the answers to both (identical)inquiries.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM

<4.What are the best non-tourist things to do/see in Paris>

Don't worry about non-tourist things! You will have time to do / see them after you will visit Paris for at least one month!

In your short visit in Paris now, you will not have time to see a quarter of sites which are described in any guidebook.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses - I have been looking at the guide books as you suggested and am more overwhelmed than ever.

I wish there was a 'what not to miss if you only go to Paris once' list! If I knew I was getting the most out of my trip my budget would be pretty high.

Nice is supposed to be very beautiful, but I read Alsace is thought of as the best city in all of Europe?
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM

You have a few threads going, not sure if you should combine or not. For example, someone might have a diffrent ideas for Scotland if they knew you wanted to end up in Paris.

have you booked flights or not? What amount of time do you have. You mention Alsace and Champagne, why there? The TGV can get you almost anywhere on its route in 4 hrs or less, so ease of access for areas (not necessarily cities) is not a big deal.

Best non-touristy things in Paris can mean anything. If I said Chapelle Expiatoire, almost no one here has probably been. Minor historical site, but something that interests me. How about the basement of the BHV? If you have a house and want some french hardware and decorating items...
Some like going to french grocery stores, to see what locals buy. Canal St Martin is mentioned here, but not many IFAIK have been. City de Sciences is the scnine museum, Jardin des Plantes has the natural history museum, there is a vineyard in Montmartre (only one in paris), they have salsa dancing outside, summer months..at an area along Seine, you can do a balloon ride in Parc Andre Citroen, there are marionettes at Luxembourg Gardens, swingers place on Ile St Louis, you can do a tour of Paris in a 2CV,etc....

You need to sit down and determine how many days you have. Then, make that huge list of things YOU might want to see. Group be geographic areas, then plug into your schedule.

Most people go to Paris to see the things it is famous for, and then you add the little touches. Or, you rule out certain things of the biggies that don't appeal (like Mona Lisa).

All here will help craft it. But non-touristy stuff is a broad statement.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM

<i>there is a vineyard in Montmartre (only one in paris)</i>

There's one in the parc Georges Brassens.