Where outside of Venice?

Search

Where outside of Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where outside of Venice?

Hello, I am new here but thought I might be able to get some suggestions from some of you on this forum.

We will be flying into Venice in June then have 5 nights before we board our cruise.

We have been to Venice several times, so are thinking about getting a car and exploring some of the nearby countryside/towns that we haven't been to before--- but we're not quite sure where ?

We love being in the scenic countryside, good food and wine, meeting locals, and visiting (or even staying in) small towns that have lots of charm, history, and character.

Because we only have 5 nights and need to return to Venice, we would like to stay no more than a couple of hour's drive time away from there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JLH
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:44 PM

well since you have already been to Venezia and apparently have seen enough and want to explore around there..I would suggest taking a train to Verona...see the sights ... and work your way back with stops in Vicenza and Padova on your way back to Venice since you say you must end there. It is only 58 minutes from Venezia Mestre via train..the furthest of the three...its 31 min. to Vicenza and 14 minutes to Padova respectively...
from verona, lake garda is very close also..a short train or bus ride away...
buon viaggio
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM

Hi JLH -

Other attractive towns in the Veneto area include Treviso, Bassano del Grappa, Marostica, Asolo ... You're spoilt for choice.

Alternatively - if it's breathtaking scenery you're after - you have some of the most spectacularly beautiful mountains in the world on the doorstep from Venice! Why not head for the Dolomites?

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM

Definitely Verona! It is an exceptionally beautiful small city and from there you can drive up into the Dolomites - towards Trento for instance - for some sensational scenery. There's a great guesthouse in Verona called La Tana.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 02:57 AM

Another choice you have is Friuli-Venizia Giulia, with the wonderful array of historic sights in Aquiliea, Cividale dei Friuli and Udine. The food and wine in the hills around Cormons is world class.

I think you should keep to your plan to have a car and get off the beaten track. Steve James is right in saying that your a "spoilt for choice," and has made some great suggestions, to which is would add Valeggio sul Mincio in that region.

A wonderful way to find towns of great character with good food and wine is to get a copy of Fred Plotkin's "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler." He covers all the regions of Italy, and has great recommendations for the best towns around where Steve mentioned and in Friuli-Venezia Giulia as well. It is NOT about expensive eating. It about places that have retained their authenticity in every way. Really worth the investment.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:47 AM

www.sirmione.com the Pearl of Lake Garda best for me

couple of hours away the prettiest place for me.

Hotel Eden very nice lake views when there last April

Black Swans Castle Roman Villa Termes simply marvelous.

Verona more euroindutrial old town and the arena worth a look.

Vincenza area nice for Palladian architecture on your way.

Happy Journey,
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM

I would stay in beautiful and totally untouristy Vicenza and make daytrips to some of the Palladian villas in the areas around there and Treviso. The Villa Barbaro at Maser and the Villa Emo are particularly wonderful.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Take the train to Florence (only 2 hours from Venice) and if you have never been, it's a must.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you ALL for such quick and great responses. Looks like I have some homework to do now!

Have been to Lake Garda and Florence but will research some of these other areas that have been recommended.

Zeppole, thanks too for the heads up re: "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" - I will check that out as well.

Once I have an idea of where we're headed I will probably come back with more questions.

Thanks again for your help!
JLH
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I am a fan of Bassano del Grappa as a base to explore much of Veneto.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Another vote for Friuli.
Great wine and food in a beautiful region not overun by tourists. We were there several years ago and stayed at a vineyard (Venica & Venica)
http://www.venica.it/welcome/view?set_language=en
in the Collio wine region.
Good travel site at;

http://www.turismofvg.it/en-US/homen.html