Verona as a Base for a Week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I will be in Veneto for a week and would like to decide which city will be the best to stay in. I originally thought about Venice, and now I have chosen Verona. Is this a wise choice?

If so, what should I do (or rather, what is there to do there)?

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I think Verona's a great town to base out of. It's got a lot of historic buildings (including a great Roman coliseum), and it's on several main train lines. It's pretty close to Venice, and you can also visit wineries in the area (I recommend Alighieri vineyards, started by Dante Alighieri). There are good restaurants, shops, and cafes in Verona.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:43 PM

It's only 1.5 hrs via rail to Venice. You'll love Verona.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM

You could do a whole lot worse. Verona itself is great for walking around and exploring. Venice is an easy train ride away, as is Vicenza. Lake Garda is also within easy reach, and Bergamo can be a daytrip. Asolo and Bassano are within striking distance too, I think.

Go, enjoy, take lots of pix, and post a trip report when you get back!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Please include Mantova...
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

ok awesome! Well, i'm going to be there during December and January (dec 30-Jan 1st). Will that be a problem or will that change things?

Where else should I go besides Venice? I've heard Padova is great?

Mantova? Where is that/ what should I do there?

Lake Guarda will be a problem in the winter will it not?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I'd get a good map, see what's close then do research on those areas. I also like looking at the train maps.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM

unless you are eliminating venice from your itinerary, i would stay IN venice at least two nights..preferably more.

then move on to vicenza, visiting marostica and bassano.
if you still have time you can go to verona for the day, or... divide the time between verona and venice, but make a full day stop in vicenza on way to verona.

if you love small towns, and weather is good, do try to get to marostica and /or bassano. you won't be disappointed.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Why would you choose Vicenza over Verona? What are your reasons for choosing one over the other?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Last year DH and I spent 8 nights in Verona, then 2 in Venice. We absolutely fell in love with Verona, and felt it was the perfect base to explore the region without a car. Here's a link to my trip report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34500984
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Are you planning to get around by car, or train / bus? That might affect your choice. Verona is bigger than Vicenza and may have more trains, although it is farther from Venice. I do agree though that if you haven't been to Venice you really should stay in the city for at least a couple of days. You'll get a much different experience than you would from day trips.

We're just back from a trip where we visited both Vicenza and Verona, as well as lots of other places in that vicinity. You can see some of our photos at:

http://www.rozault.com/Italy2005

When we were there I liked Vicenza better than Verona -- it seemed more welcoming and livable. But there probably is more to do from a tourist standpoint in Verona. On this recent trip we went mostly to places sort of off the well-beaten tourist trail. Verona was the only city (except for Venice of course) that really was swarming with tourists, so I think that may have turned me off a bit. I don't know about winter though -- probably anyplace will be less touristed then.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM
DAX

I've been to Verona twice and prefer it to Mantova & Padova as a base. Unfortunately it has a very limited choice of good hotels. Inside the old town I'd recommend Hotel Due Torri, I like the ambiance & convenience for enjoying Verona.

The best place to eat in Verona is "Il Desco" (Ph 39-45-595358) just a block south of Piazza Independenza, it's one of the top 10 restaurants in Italy (Gambero Rosso list). "It's the best restaurant in Verona" swore two satisfied guests as we entered the restaurant. I thought the food was very good & creative but not quite the ultimate.

If you choose to stay closer to the train station (just south of the old town), I'd recommend staying at the Boscolo Hotel Leon d'Oro. Last summer we tried their largest suite (quite nice)which was cheaper than a standard room at the Due Torri, but we ended up taxiing into old town all the time so it's somewhat inconvenient and also lacked character. The area outside oldtown /around the train station is not that enjoyable.

You'll enjoy Mantova even more if you read its history. It has some nice picturesque squares although I don't know what it's like in the winter. You can stay warm in the large & sprawling palace (museum) which will take up a few hours to view. Don't expect Versailles but it has enough character for a visit.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I also spent a week in Verona. Love it there, way better than Vicenza, which I found a bit formal and cold. You can link to my trip report at http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/italy.htm . I would also highly recommend the apartment we stayed at.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM

i guess it all depends on the day trips you will be making, where the easiest access town is.

i do not know either of them in depth. but would make my decision based then on the day trips that most appeal to you.
i had said vicenza before after your interest in going to venice (which i assumed was a day trip?), just because it would be closer.

either place is beautiful, and you certainly have some great trip reports here already to help decide.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Romulus .... and other towns in northern Italy (including Trieste)
Was interested in the many towns mentioned by Romulus, and noted the towns listed on the site. My sister and I travel to Europe (Italy next year 2006) each year and now are obliged to rent an apartment due to my sister developing a gluten problem: that is she has to cook her own meals. Please, could any reader advise an apartment in any of the towns mentioned (we are regular readers of this site and note that Venice is often listed with an apartment) but please, should any reader be able to advise a reasonably priced apartment in any of the towns listed we would be truly grateful. (We are not in the 4/5 star financial bracket) but if such an apartment were available via Priceline etc. we would be able to watch price records. Any accommodation with a kitchen/kitchen facilities, eg apartment, convent, etc. would be acceptable, & any information would be much appreciated. With thanks .... Jay
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:03 AM

To Jay:

You'll get a better response to your question if you start your own thread with an appropriate title...
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Verona as a base? And you've never been to Venice? You want an hour and a half train ride to Venice each way?? Uh, I don't think so! Verona is just not that interesting, imo, the people I found to be rather parochial and not that friendly,(and I speak Italian) the Arena, the sights, the food, just didn't do it for me at all. I was ready to leave after a few hours and get back to my favorite place in the world-Venice.

Since you will be there in the off-season, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't base yourself IN Venice, (there are very reasonable rates for 3 star lodging there-do a search on venere.com-you'll see there's quite a variety-particularly outside of touristy San Marco in the Cannaregio/San Polo area. From Venice, you can easily do day trips to Vicenza, Padova, AND Verona (in that order, I'd say!) You might just find, though, that you become so enamored with the canal life of Venice that you'll want to spend the bulk of your time there-and there's nothing wrong with that! I spent two weeks in an apt. in Venice and I never went anywhere other than the Lido and once to Burano-I was just so caught up in the cruisin' summertime life of Venice, that I was hard-pressed to do anything but just enjoy life there, tromping the calli, going out to the bacarie and chatting with the locals, shopping, living like a Venetian-it was quite the unique experience, and one I want to repeat.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:19 PM
DAX

Spygirl is right, I forgot how much less Venice costs in the low season. Chances are you don't even want to leave Venice once you're there. Just bring some rubber boots for the morning tide/flood if you want to explore before 10 AM. I got upgraded to a 5 room suite for the price of a standard room in November.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I loved Verona. (I've long envisioned retiring there...it's a university town and I felt quite at home.) I loved Venice. I would stay in Venice for two nights and the rest of the time in Verona. You will find they are very different, and you can make an interesting daytrip from Verona to Mantua (which we also enjoyed) or Vicenzia. They are close enough together so you won't miss out on much by spending a great deal of time traveling.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

well, based on your recommendations, I think I'll stay two nights in Verona, and two nights in Venice. Is that too much in either town? I was a bit worried about Aqua Alta. Will that be a problem?

From Verona, where should I visit? If i only have two days in Verona, I will spend one day touring the city, and one day on a day trip. What are the best trips from Verona?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -