Reload this Page >

Where next after Bellagio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 04:02 PM
Rose

Will be driving through Italy for 3 weeks the end of Sept. Our 1st stop is Bellagio for 2 nights and then we will be heading for Venice. Any suggestions what towns to see along the way and where we should stay overnight.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 05:01 PM
Maggie

First, Bellagio is beautiful and a great way to start your trip. Don't know how much time you have til you have to be in Venice or if it's pretty open. You could move on to Lake Garda and stay at a number of towns along the lake (try doing a search on this forum on Lake Garda for more specifics.) Or you could go to Verona which is a great little city/town with much of interest. Where after Venice?????

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 08:01 PM
Jeanie

Verona is a great place to stop and it is on the way to Venice. It gets a little touristy during the day but it is magical in the evening. <BR>From what I've read and seen, Lake Garda looks great too. I would like to stop there the next time i am in italy.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:09 AM
marie

What a wonderful trip! <BR> <BR>When I drove from Lago di Como to Venice, I stopped at a little town named Erbusco where there was a WONDERFUL (but pricey) restaurant, Gaultiero Marchesi, (w/ a hotel attached - called L'Albereta) We went to Lago di Garda, which was beautiful, but I made the mistake of booking a hotel in Riva del Garda - right up at the top of the lake. We decided not to stay and found our way to Mantova, which turned out to be a jewel. <BR> <BR>I agree with others - Verona is another jewel. <BR> <BR>On the way to Venice, there is an area called the Brenta Riviera where there are very interesting old palazzi (old summer homes of the rich in Venice) - that are open to the public. Some are very historical, with war time meetings during Mussolini's time. <BR> <BR>I could go on and on - you're in for a wonderful trip. Let me know if you want additional information. Have a great time...

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:08 AM
Phil

Going from Bellagio to Venice myself, intending to stop in Riva del Garda for three nights, then to Verona with day trips to Sirmione on Lake Garda; and Vicenza . Haven't been to these places yet, but decided on this route based on postings on Fodor's. <BR>One recommendation, when driving to Bellagio, it's faster to drive the eastern shore of the Peninsula. When we went last time we drove up the western shore and found it slow and tedious. The desk man at our hotel (Hotel du Lac?) recommended we return the east shore, and he was right.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 03:47 PM
Rose

Maggie - after Venice we are off to spend a week at Podere Torricella and tour the Tuscanny region. After that we are heading to the Amalfi Coast and Naples/Pompei/Sorrento and then home. <BR>Thanks for your input. I think we are definitely going to Verona since everyone suggested it. Thanks all.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 06:54 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Rose, You are getting this trip put <BR>together very well. My opinion is to <BR>stay at Sirmione at the south tip of Lago Garda. Trust me, you will love it.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 04:06 AM
Bruce

Just returned home yesterday from a wonderful stay in Bellagio. I recommend the Hotel du Lac. It is very well located, has a great restaurant, and one of the most lively bars in town. For a light snack and a great pizza we recommend the Grotto Pizza Rustica, located up one of the stairs that wind through town. We second the tip about driving the eastern side of the peninsula. That is, from Lecco side, rather than the Como side where much of the road is 1 1/2 lanes wide, very twisty, and full of scary truck and bus experiences. <BR> <BR> After Bellagio we went to Milan and found the whole town to be under construction and covered with graffiti. It was such a stark contrast, our systems are still reeling. Some people we met said that Sienna was their favorite spot, Venice their least favorite. In any case, you'll love Bellagio. We could have spent a month there! <BR> <BR>Enjoy.