Search

Where next???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Karen

Where next???

Going to Europe for 5th time in October and can't decide where. Will be for 3 weeks, will rent a car or use the train, whichever works best for the destination. Have been to Italy twice, Spain twice and Paris. Are interested in history, museums, hiking, biking, small cafes with local foods, wines, leisurely pace, big cities, small towns and the countryside. Okay, we're tourists at heart; love to see all the great stuff. We're late 40's and physically active. Not interested particularly in beaches or trendy places. And probably not in Greece or Turkey at least not this trip since we were just in Egypt (would think it would be some of the same). So, if you great Fodor travellers could pick next, what would it be?? Denmark? Germany? Holland? South of France? Czech Republic? Poland? Swizterland? Sweden? Austria? Or other? And why?? Sorry is this seems so vague; just want some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:45 PM
topper

ttt

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:50 PM
YS

How about Russia?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Sheila

Scotland(give or take the wines)

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:57 PM
John

One suggestion, two countries. Start with 12-14 days in Scotland, enjoying the autumn color, empty roads, great cities, Highland glens etc., then hop a cheap flight to Amsterdam, savor this great city, visit Haarlem, Delft, the coast (under-rated) and get the feel of bustling Holland in the fall. Can we join you?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Karen

Great ideas! <BR> <BR>John, what would the weather be in Scotland/Amsterdam in October? We're from Colorado, so used to snow and cooler weather. Would there be much rain? Of course, you can join us! Thanks for help!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:10 PM
grasshopper

I don't think Greece would be like Egypt at all. Consider chartering a sailboat. We went through www.gpsc.com and had a fabulous adventure. Nothing like Egypt! Also, I recommend Meteora and Delphi. The weather there in Oct. would be preferrable to Scotland or the Netherlands.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:07 PM
topper

ttt

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:42 PM
John

Sheila and I evidently bumped into each other in cyberspace promoting Scotland. She lives in Aberdeen and maybe has more up-to-date knowledge than I do, but in the years I lived there the October weather was generally nice enough, often quite fine, but occasionally not, just like anywhere else at northern latitudes. Obviously early October is better than late, but I think it would compare favorably with Colorado, unless you're talking about Rocky Mt. NP or some such extreme place. The flip side is purple heather against orange bracken and golden leaves, blue lochs, fabulous skies and great slanting light (the designers of the Edinburgh New Town in the 1700s required the sandstone facing on the buildings be grooved so as to form shadows and highlights in the autumn and winter - look for it.) The roads are empty, the prices are cheaper, and the woolen mills will be in full swing. Wine tasting might not be on the agenda, but you may have heard of another alcoholic beverage industry with a foothold in Scotland. As for Holland, I've only got two delicious words, experienced in a Delft pub one autumn night: Mustard Soup. And Heineken. That's four, I guess. Yum. Five. <BR> <BR>Both Scotland and Holland can be damp and chilly, but the same holds for lots of places in Europe in October, even near the Mediterranean. But I think the compensating fact is that they're really living their own lives, not putting on the show for the summer throngs. I bet you'll love it. <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:35 PM
C

I'd have to give another vote for Scotland. I absolutely love Edinburgh and the Highlands were breathtaking in January with snow capping the hilltops. <BR> <BR>I was there in January and while it was chilly, it wasn't any worse than what you would have been experiencing in Colorado at that time of year. I think October would actually be a nice time of year to visit. Less crowds to deal with than the summer months.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:58 PM
harzer

Hi Karen! <BR> <BR>I'm not kidding here. Why not work your way along the coast of Croatia from Rijeka to Dubrovnik. It is still swimming weather in October down here, and it's a former top tourist destination that has suffered undeservedly from all the ethnic troubles in Kosovo. The offshore islands are beautiful for all water sports, and the person with an interest in Roman history gets his money's worth. One side trip not to be missed is the road inland from Senj to the Plitvicki lakes, a descending series of lakes that change in colour from green to blue as you get lower, set in great walking country. Or from Rijeka go across to Pula which has the best preserved Roman amphitheatre in the world. <BR>Harzer

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Art

Sound like Germany would fill your bill. Lots of areas to hike, lots of history, cities - Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Dresden; Easy to drive; easy side trip to Salzburg, great castles to visit, Rhein area is beautiful, lots of museums, some in castles; drive the Romatic road. Holland is not that far of a drive from central Germany. Food is great, some very good wines and the best beer. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Leslie

There are so MANY places you haven't been many of which offer history, museums, hiking, biking, cafes, etc... <BR> <BR>But keeping to the most obvious areas of Western Europe, what would appeal to me would be either: <BR> <BR>England/Scotland or the Germanic countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria...lots of beautiful countryside, small towns, plus you could include Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, Berlin, Zurich, Geneva, Bern, and/or Amsterdam for major cities.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Linda

I would recommend Germany, Czech Republic, western Austria and Budapest part of Hungary. The major cities that are must-sees are Berlin, Prague and Vienna and, of course, Budapest. Munich and the Bavaria area of Germany are next must-sees. There is no better place for history of the 20th century than Berlin. All cities are reasonably priced, have excellent food and drink, have friendly people and lots to see and do.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Theresa

We loved Poland. Krakow our favorite. So much history...some really great stories and the shopping used to be tremendous...we went the first 4 times before tourists found out about it. Food and hotel...very cheap and excellent. Loved Switzerland. Food too cheesy for me. Czech Rep also nice. People very friendly...same for Poland.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:24 AM
xxx

having covered most of Europe I would say a definite thumbs up for Eastern Europe - Prague, Budapest, Krakow and Bucharest - excellent!! <BR> <BR>Have fun