where must i check my camera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember reading that in some of the museums in rome you must check your camera. i have a nikon and i will not check it so i would appreciate knowing in advance so i do not carry it with me. i was also wondering whatin museums you have to have your things xrayed? they did a hand check for me at the accademia in florence because i do not like to put my film through the machines unprotected. thanks for the help!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM

This is something lots of us would like to know so if anyone can help who visits Rome often?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM

The Borghese Gallery requires that all cameras and bags be checked.

Woody
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM

We had to check our bag and camera for the Scavi tour under the Vatican.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks so for entry to the other parts of the vatican, you could take your camera? i tried to get a scavi reservation but no luck. oh well. i heard it can be a bit claustraphobic..might not have been for me in that case. thanks everyone for the responses!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

oh..i forgot..did you have to go through xray at the vatican?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Yes you have to go through xray/metal detectors at the vatican, but you can take your camera into St. Peter's and the Vatican. No pics in the Sistine Chapel...and you can't take any bags or purses etc into the Scavi.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM

And be careful not to take pictures where it says none allowed. They can be very rough with you.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

i do respect the rules...be it no pictures or no flash. although i do not understand the whole no pictures thing (unless its a church). the idea that the art is copyrighted i think is unfortunate. art is meant to be seen and shared. its not like most tourists are taking photos to sell. it does disurb me that people take photos with flash when they are not suppsoed to. i wonder if they realize the flash can damage the artwork or if they know and don't care. thanks for the info. i will take my xray bag and my little camera to the vatican.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM

You must also check your camera at the Borghese Gallery also.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I'm glad this came up because I was going to post a similar question. We have upcoming reservations for both the Scavi tour and Galleria Borghese, but I don't want to leave our digital camera at the bag check. I don't want to leave it in our hotel room either because of the other things that we are doing those days, so I plan on keeping it in an inside pocket of my coat. Will we be searched?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Are the bag checks really so unsecure, or do you all just have really nice cameras? I'm glad you posted this since I just made reservations for Galleria Borghese. Maybe we'll leave the camera in the hotel, but my camera isn't really anything special (4 Mpix digital camera...about 3 years old)...do you think it would be unsafe to check it?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Don't let paranoia set in. You are safe checking your cameras at sites like the Borghese Gallery. Further, don't sweat the xray machines at museums and other sites. They are not nearly as strong as those at airports. Film under 800-speed is safe (and probably 800-speed as well at these sites).
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

i never check anything as a rule that i am not willing to lose. and i am not willing to lose my camera..LOL. i would hope that things would be safe but i am just not willing to take that chance.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM

mwoodrowe, I feel the same way! Hopefully, they don't search me...
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM

For the Scavi tour, we were asked specifically to check my husband's rucksack. There is no X-ray checkpoint if you go directly to the Scavi office. You do walk by the gate with the Swiss Guards, but they just nod you through when you indicate that you have an appointment for the Scavi tour. I think you could keep your digital camera with you in a pocket or small purse. (Of course, photography is not permitted.)

I agree with Howard about the Borghese Gallery. I checked my purse (with camera) there and felt fine about it. They were very organized and professional.

But you're right mw - I suppose there could always be a mix up. Borghese doesn't do a metal X-ray check in. If you can fit your camera within your pockets, probably no one would care unless you took it out to use it .