Reload this Page >

Where is "The Toast Rack"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Anon

I'm intrigued. I've searched the internet and found a photograph of the place, but where is it? I've narrowed it down to somewhere in Dorset England and now I'm stuck. <BR> <BR>The mention of "crystal clear air" "omnipotent silence" and the fact you can only ever spend 2 nights in prison there has got my curiosity going. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 01:59 AM
SteveJames

Can you give me the website reference with the photo, anon? Now you've got me intrigued too! <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 03:32 AM
Anon

www.biphoto.com/ir/messages/998.html <BR> <BR>I admit I read about this place in one of those "where are you" competitions (Sunday Times/Travel/where are you). <BR> <BR>And, before someone starts chucking verbal tomatoes, I am not interested in the competition (of which this clue is only a section), but the description of The Toast Rack and surrounding area has made me curious. <BR> <BR>Of course I can wait until next Sunday, but I guess patience is a virtue I missed out on! <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:58 AM
A.J

Anon - I've worked out where it is, I think. Do you know the name of the play? You e-mail me the play and I'll send you the place. <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:56 AM
FWhiteside

Probably not what you're looking for but in Manchester there's a student accomodation building with this nickname.......

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:03 AM
puzzled

Are you sure that picture is part of the competition? I seem to remember seeing a topiary hedge like the picture shows at Athelhamptom House in Puddletown, Dorset, but the competition writing seems to be about someplace along the coastline and the "toast rack" part of a hiking or walking trail.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Anon

AJ: I didn't really look into the play section but I do think the playwright is William Douglas Home, does that help? <BR> <BR>FW: Don't be mean - trying to lead me astray - it's not Manchester! <BR> <BR>Puzzled: When I searched for The Toast Rack, (I think I used Google) the intro to the web page definitely said it was a photo of the Toast Rack. <BR> <BR>And, I know the Toast Rack isn't the place competition is asking for, but it is close and mentioned in the write-up. And a 300 foot climb? And only 2 days allowed in jail? Hmmmmm - I love mysteries. Anyway, it sounds lovely and I want to go, (but then last weeks comp was great too - I didn't even know the Settle-Carlisle railway existed). <BR> <BR>Anyway, good luck to those who are trying, thanks for answers - and I guess I'll wait for Sunday. Of course I only do these puzzles to keep the mind active - don't want it to atrophy!!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:10 AM
SteveJames

To the top.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:00 AM
A.J

Anon - the source I found says the 'Toast Rack' was a type of bus used at Barmouth, Rhyll, Aberystwyth and other coastal resorts in the 1950's. <BR>From the other clues I think the answer's Barmouth. There is a town lock-up there which was used for short-term prisoners.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:17 AM
AL

There is a ToastRack near Wandsworth Common, South London - refers to a bunch of streets which look like a Toast Rack!! Don't know if that helps..It's near Wandsworth Prison as well...